• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 8052 drive hub

MikeC1962

Hello, the farmer across the road cam over last night and said he had a problem with his mini excavator (not sure if this is classed as a mini or not so I am placing this question in both locations). I am not a mechanic but I am a machinist / engineer (I own a one man shop doing small repair work and building electrical control panels).

I took a look. It seems the bearings in the driven hub had failed. This in turn caused the large snap ring to be pushed against the walls of the hub (housing). The groove was eaten out till it became a "v" shape and finally the snap ring pulled out and the hub (housing gearbox) fell off.

A complete motor / gearbox assembly would probably be best but I don't see a part number for the complete unit.

The unit is a JCB 8052 with a build date of 2000 ... so 19 years old.

He is trying to decided whether or not it is worth it to repair the unit ... I am guessing the unit is worth about $10K - $15K?

The machine has a gear box serial number of 0700058.

Listed below are the main parts required to rebuild the unit. I will need a few more seals and bears (may as well replace all of them while it is apart) but this should give a good estimate for the job.

1) Housing Assembly : 20/950216
2) Shaft Motor : 20/950220
3) Bearing : 20/903621
4) Housing Gearbox : 20/950257
5) Seal Floating : 904/20155
6) Gear : 20/950267

Two question:

1) Other then the factory (JCB / Liftech), is there any other place I can purchase these parts? I don't know if any other these parts would be available from an aftermarket supplier?

2) Is there a source of used parts for these units? A junk year specializing in heavy equipment?

Thanks ..... Mike

MikeC1962

Just sent the e-mail ... thanks again ....

Here is a link to pictures I put up of the unit on the web.

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/xtal...a96a8e/p/30e014e2-2520-48a3-b1a1-bf809878a142

Question ... I just got a quote from the "local" supplier .... he wants more for the parts than the unit is worth! The unit is only 19 years old. If the parts are worth more than the unit, I sure he will just put it in the field to rust and sell it for scrap. Is there any chance of finding used parts for this unit? It there any other options? I'd hate to see the unit scrapped because of a bad drive motor.

Thanks .... Mike

MikeC1962

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!

I buy everything from ebay ... don't know why I didn't think to check there for excavator parts!

A lot better than the $27K the factory quoted me ... and I would have to wait till January 2020 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think my neighbor will be dancing in the barn tonight.

Thanks so very much for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

MikeC1962

I called one of the places. Super nice guy. He explained I could have one of two motors. I had the Nichi ... a bit more rare.

One of the motors has a 12 hole pattern ... the other a 9 hole pattern.

These guys were smart enough to drill both patterns into the flange! It even comes with an adapter so I don't have to change the lines (one is fed on the top and one on the back).

The farmer is out haying (yes that time of year here in VT ... frost last night ... 31 deg officially).

He will be back as soon as the sun is down and I will run over and order it with him.

Thanks again so very much for the help!!!!!!!

Mike