• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 510-56

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I just pulled one of these into the shop for some engine work. It's at least blown a head gasket, and there may be more wrong. It has the JCB 444 engine in it. Why does it seem like it's a mystery to find parts for the engine? I called my local JCB dealer and asked for a seal kit for the engine and an operator manual (I can't figure out how to lower the boom). He responded like he had never even heard anyone asking for that before. He said he'd have to check if a seal kit was even available, and get back to me, and as far as the manual goes, he said my best bet would be to go out on the internet a find a downloadable one. What the heck? Does anyone else have problems getting JCB parts?

skata

You actually can find pdf manuals cheap on ebay. Otherwise you'll pay a lot to buy a manual from jcb. I can try to email you my copies, if I can find a way to upload them somewhere. Files are too large to attach on email.
Try registering here to get parts manual access.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Thank you! I was able to get a login, and I can order the parts book for around 200 bucks, but it won't let me go into the online parts page. It says my account info is either incorrect or temporarily disabled, try again later. I don't know why it can't tell me which of those(incorrect or disabled), but there we are.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Now I find that JCB has discontinued that engine, and doesn't sell an overhaul kit for it. I can apparently order all the parts from a local dealer piece by piece. Gosh it's almost like they don't want independent techs like me working on their machines. It'll be a cold day in Hades if I ever recommend anyone buy one of these. Sheesh.

skata

I thought jcb still makes the 444 engine. If you simply Google 'jcb 444 engine' you'll find some for sale if you need a complete engine.
I think I had to request a registration on that jcb site. Then I had access to parts diagrams. Jcb does make it a little difficult,as they want you to go to their dealer for parts and service. But one you get the part numbers, there are several websites you can buy from for less.
Generally the 444 engine is pretty stout. What happened to yours?

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Actually, as it turns out, after all this, nothing much at all. There is a coolant line that runs to the VGT servo that has a short piece of flex hose and a couple clamps. One of those clamps was leaking, and the coolant ran down under a couple heat shields (hard to see). When it got to the head / block parting surface, it spread out and trickled down making it seem like, at best the head gasket was blown, and at worst, the head cracked. I was preparing for the worst, and it all boiled down to a $2 clamp. The engine, after all, is just fine. So now, this is just going to be a routine service and not an overhaul. Still frustrating how hard it is to get parts, but thankfully I won't need many.

skata

Actually, as it turns out, after all this, nothing much at all. There is a coolant line that runs to the VGT servo that has a short piece of flex hose and a couple clamps. One of those clamps was leaking, and the coolant ran down under a couple heat shields (hard to see). When it got to the head / block parting surface, it spread out and trickled down making it seem like, at best the head gasket was blown, and at worst, the head cracked. I was preparing for the worst, and it all boiled down to a $2 clamp. The engine, after all, is just fine. So now, this is just going to be a routine service and not an overhaul. Still frustrating how hard it is to get parts, but thankfully I won't need many.
Hey, good to hear you figured it out.