• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 214 Transmission Oil Pressure...

idahosafari

I have a JCB 214 Series 3 backhoe with 1775 hrs. on it. I bought it last fall, did a full service, changed all filters and fluids, including the transmission. Replaced the oil and filter with factory JCB equipment. I put about 90 hrs. on the backhoe with no problem, then the transmission oil pressure light started to come on at an idle about 700 rpm. Changed the trans filter again and no difference.

The light goes out about 1100 - 1200 rpm and operates fine above that rpm range, but comes back on at an idle. When this started, I noticed the light coming on only in forward / reverse, but now the light comes on regardless of it being in neutral or forward / reverse. When pushing into dirt piles etc. the trans doesn't seem to be slipping, but at an idle it is very slow to change from forward to reverse.

The sump screen was clean when I changed the oil and I cut the filter that I had just changed apart and I thought that it looked pretty clean inside. No filings or shavings, but a little bit of metal dust stuck to the metal of the filter (thought that would be normal wear with all the gears running in the transmission).

The transmission oil that came out of the hoe was red, just like ATF. There must have been a little oil left in the torque converter because the oil has a red tinge to it even though the JCB oil is clear. I would have thought that if those two wouldn't combine I would have had problems earlier.

It sounds like JCB's are plagued with electrical problems. Could this be an electrical problem, or do I have a trans pump just going bad? Oh, the trans is a synchro shift. Any help would be appreciated, I've very frustrated that I'm having these issues with a 1700 hr. machine!

Elton Futadore

I have the same problem like you. When the engine become hot the light is on idle mode and disapair when a push the throttle. I put about 250 hours on the backhoe with the light on

It is very hard to find the transmission oil pressure sensor because the transmission is painted black. If I know exactly the location I would replace that sensor.

hookedondiesel

I don't know about the 214 but my 210 has a sensor on the left side of the tranny. When you step out of the cab, it's on that side near the bottom of the trans. My light was also staying on and I had a small leak coming from the oil pressure sensor. Replaced it and all was well afterwards for me. The JCB trans oil is a 10 weight oil, clear...here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• blob.jpg
    blob.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16

jcb jeff

The oil pressure sensor is up on the top if its a syncro shuttle or power shift with a plug type fitting.The trans pressure should be between 9.5 - 11 bar depending on temp of oil.
If you have a gauge on the test port when you select a gear the pressure will drop and then should come back up again.
You may have a problem with the pressure relief valve in the box in as far as week spring but only once in all the years playing with these JCBs. Try a new switch and if you can a pressure gauge on it before thinking the pump is shot.

Cordell

Hello, I am Cordell from Jamaica, I am having a problem with my 1996, 214 model JCB. The transmission failed due to a break in the neck of the torque convertor. I had the transmission pump replaced and the torque converter (used). Now the unit wont move forward or backward after about 10 minute of driving. It moves again once you allow the transmission to cool after 5 minutes. It was use to dig a trench yesterday, even though it was not in gear while digging it failed to move and had to be allowed to cool before it could move again. Oh and yes the low transmission oil light came on and then go away. The transmission oil is clean and at adequate level. Can anyone help me diagnose the possible problem with my unit?