• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 214 Transmission fluid question

Olmedic

Hello,

I just recently bought my first backhoe. It is a 98 JCB 214 Series 2.

I would like to learn and do my own routine services on the machine, but since it did not come with any books, I am now turning to the net for info.

I called JCB today to inquire about the type of fluids and specs. I gave the serial # and in return, I was given a spec sheet with details. This is where the problem begins.

The spec sheet says to use "JCB special Transmission fluid", but when I asked JCB service about it, he first told me to just use 10w oil. Later, he called me to let me know he was mistaken. he then told me I could use Dexron III transmission fluid. meanwhile, a second JCB service center returned my message left earlier in the day. They told me to use J20D transhydraulic fluid.

Now, I am at a loss, and have yet to get any solid confirmation.

Do any of you have experience with this machine, and could you offer some insight.

Thanks in advance

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
This cut from JCB 214 manual, can't say that it's relative to a Series 2 though.

JCB fluid specs edited.png

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As the oil is used in a transmission it would need to be "Powertrain spec" rather than a common-or-garden 10W hydraulic oil, which is what the scan of the manual would appear to suggest at first sight.
That would mean a 10W TO-4 specification transmission oil. 10W for a transmission, hmmm...... I would have thought an SAE 30 would be about right. That said I have no experience of JCB therefore I could be talking completely off the top of my head ......

Olmedic

Thanks for the replies. I have the same spec sheet, with the exception of the Transmission fluid. Mine shows "JCB Special Transmission Fluid", with an international specification of ESP-M2C 33G. My concern is that if JCB could not even tell me for sure what fluid to use, if they even gave me the correct spec sheet.

In ref to the 10w oil. I asked him about it, and he told me 10w motor oil, and said to not use a non-detergent. I am assuming he was meaning just a SAE 10w

Nige

Found it ............. It's actually called ESW-M2C33-G and is a Ford spec for use in Ford, Borg Warner, & ITL (JCB) transmissions that specify ESW-M2C33-G oil. It's a type of ATF.

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=118

I know that's a UK site and not much use to you but in the US a couple of equivalents would be Gulf ATF Type F or Shell S1 ATF Type F (formerly known as Shell Donax TF), or Texaco Texamatic 9330.

Hope that helps.

Olmedic

Thanks for the info, Nige. I will bring this up to the JCB service guy, and see if he agrees. Seems like a lot of trouble, just to find out the fluid types. LOL

Drc

Do not use brake fluid in the brake system

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Quite so. ISO VG15 is a very thin hydraulic oil, less than a 5W equivalent even.

Yes sir Nige. And if one attempts to use heavier viscosity oil in JCB brake systems, performance won't be nearly as good compared to ISO VG15.

Nige

A lot of people get confused with viscosities, especially when comparing gear oils & power train (TO-4 type) oils. I've lost count of the number of people who've asked me why I'm replacing an 80W/90 gear oil with an SAE 30 TO-4 oil. "Because they're basically the same viscosity" is the reply.

The table below is a handy quick reference for oil viscosities, and how ISO viscosity grades compare with SAE Motor Oil & Gear Oil viscosity grades. It might be useful to somebody. Also it shows that ISO VG15 is comparable to an SAE 5W.

View attachment TI viscosity ISO vs SAE.pdf

Bala

Very timely this thread, We received a JCB 540 telehandler recently and I was giving it its first 1000hr service, and read "JCB special transmission fluid", so it was on my list of things to follow up. Our New Holland backhoe is running an ATF fluid and I was going to check up on that as I am not sure if that is correct. I have drums of Mobil Trans HD30 so I am going to check if that is suitable for the trans and diffs etc in these two units.

migosurf

Thanks for the replies. I have the same spec sheet, with the exception of the Transmission fluid. Mine shows "JCB Special Transmission Fluid", with an international specification of ESP-M2C 33G. My concern is that if JCB could not even tell me for sure what fluid to use, if they even gave me the correct spec sheet.

In ref to the 10w oil. I asked him about it, and he told me 10w motor oil, and said to not use a non-detergent. I am assuming he was meaning just a SAE 10w

Can you please tell me what you finally ended up using? Was it fluid spec of ESW-M2C33-G? I am trying to find lower cost alternative to JCB. Thanks

Jock

Hey mate

I used to work at a JCB dealership, we always used the JCB Special Transmission oil. It might pay to price up a drum, it may not be to expensive. That was in all the JCB powershift transmissions. From the new 6 speeds to the older shuttle shift boxes. 3CXs, 4CXs and all the telehandlers apart from the hydrostatic drive models

dejan77

I had a problem with the JCB 520 from 1980 year,when I addressed the dilers of JCB , they said that we do not know which oil to pour into it, and they said to me that they have this oils having . Luckily, I have a friend who knows the oil and he said to me ESP- M2C33G .

dejan77

and we now have a problem because this oil is no one in Serbia , because they have no demand for it.

JPrato

Occupation
Engineer
A good substitute for the JCB brake fluid is the stuff used in aircraft, HYDRAULIC FLUID MIL-H-5606A
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/hydfluid5606qt.php?clickkey=4008
I went to my JCB dealer first and I think he said he could get the JCB stuff in 5 gal pails, said just use light hydraulic oil. The above fits the bill, comes in quarts, is relatively cheap, looks, feels and smells like the stuff in my reservoirs already. No problems so far since putting 5606A in a year ago.