• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jcb 214 tranny problems

Tigger454

I just recently purchased a jcb and tranny fluid is creamy and over full works perfect for ten minutes then get sluggish on power any info would be great thanks I’m new to this forum

JL Sargent

Here is what I suspect is going on. It's not over full, but rather it's getting air in the fluid and then blowing up the dipstick.
After sitting overnight, crank the backhoe and check the fluid after only a minute or two. That way you're checking it before it gets all aerated up. If this is what's going on, the trick will be figuring out what's causing the aeration!

Tigger454

I just drained it and almost 5 gallons came out and when I filled it back up it only took just shy of 3 gallons but now it works perfect for about 30 mins and just stops until it gets cool again

Tigger454

Must be someone on here to tell me something and after using it a light comes on with a oil drop in the middle of it with a arrow on either side any info would be great thanks in advance

JL Sargent

I would think that's an indication of filter being restricted and tractor going into bypass mode?

JL Sargent

The transmission may have a bypass circuit for the hydraulic fluid if the filter gets stopped up. You probably can download manuals for that machine at tradebit.com by the way.

jcb jeff

Hi
Is the transmission oil white/pink color by chance if so this can indicate transmission oil cooler failed ,has you coolant level dropped by chance.
The lack of power could be caused by engine lack of power fuel / air system basic checks, hydraulic overload service stuck or could be transmission if the coolant has got into the trans oil it will cause the friction plates to swell and drag in the box some had plastic pistons which would also swell up if came into contact with antifreeze.
You have not given a serial number so only guessing but is this a powershift gearbox or a syncro shuttle gearbox .
I would suggest draining out the oil from trans via the oval plate on the bottom of the gear box held in with two 13mm or 1/2"" headed bolts and see if any debris are present on the strainer in the transmission.
This is for the later type but if you have an early type gear box you will have a little square sump under the front gearbox which is just a forward / reverse shuttle box (borg warnner type)
if so remove the sump and check in there for the same.

Tigger454

The oil is a milky gray I’m heading back to my bungalow where its at the put new cooler and filter and change fluid again which I changed the fluid only last week and there was no debris in screen

Delmer

When it's been sitting for a while, does the oil look different than after it's run? Do you still have the first oil you drained out of the trans? Does it have water in it? drip some on a hot piece of steel, if there's water it will sputter, test a few drips of new motor oil to see what it should look like, do this with the current oil after it's been sitting and again after it's been running.

The foaming or milky color might be a symptom or the cause, kind of hard to tell, but it is an important part of this. Obviously Jcbjeff knows way more about this than I do. That test is the next I'd try, not knowing if your trans drains completely or if the changing the fluid only dilutes the old fluid that doesn't drain.

jcb jeff

A good way of flushing the the gearbox i use is to drain the oil and refill slightly over remove torque converter out hose to cooler and with some one in the machine start it and have a fresh drum of oil with a hand pump , pump the oil in as its running this way the old contaminated oil will be removed completely and will not get back to gearbox.
This way you dont spend all day and lots of oil trying to get every drop of oil/water out.If more is coming out than you are putting in you can stop and replenish oil,
Also have machine of the ground so as you can get the guy in capb to run through gears and direction to clear oil from clutch packs and valve chest.
Hope this makes sense and its a 10w oil.