• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 214 Series 3 Starting Problems

mrh1966

Well we have a JCB 214 Series 3 s/n0900368 on a small island in the Bahamas........we were having problems starting the machine due to the battery not holding charge...........this is an ongoing problem over there due to corrosion......it would start off a jump though...........when i was out there last i put a brand new battery on........when we tried to start it it sparked at the starter and then wouldnt start.....it had blown off the lead which goes from the starter to the alternator....which was heavily corroded...........I replace this lead but still not starting......I removed the starter, cleaned and checked to see if it was working........all ok....checked all fuses including inline fuse near starter and as much of the wiring as i can get to, including behind the fuses and key switch......all ok......when you turn the ignition on all the lights work and the buzzer sounds but the final turn off the key to start it nothing happens.........it is as if the forward/reverse selector is engaged....which is not.......i am now a little stuck as to what it might be......i would appreciate any help if possible, maybe one of your JCBs has had the same problem....thank you in advance..........

02SILVER

My JCB 214 3 series had the same symptoms as the ones you are describing. The machine could be jumped but could not start itself even with a new battery. I checked all connections and they were fine. It ended up being the starter itself, we replaced it and all is well. We found our starter on ebay for around $130 and it is of good quality. Hope this helps.

mrh1966

Thanks O2Silver. When you put a new battery on did it start with a jump......ours will not even with a jump

02SILVER

Mine did start with a jump and the new battery, but after a little while that did not work either. I guess the components on the inside our our starter wore out, it just took us a while to find the problem because we believed we had a bad ground elsewhere.

Drc

I had a series III JCB, same problem, never found the cause so we put in a night switch

skeeter600

I am having the same problem by replacing the starter did it turn the motor a lil faster cause i replaced the battery for it was 5 years old & the new battery seems to turn the motor pretty slow still but it does start if warm out but not if below 30 degees

jeff112

Is there a remote solenoid? Or is the solenoid on the starter? Check the s terminal for power with the key all the way over to the start position,this will show you that the solenoid is being energized that will in return put the power to the starter from the batteries,also do a voltage drop test on the + and - cables to check there condition.

mrh1966

Is there a remote solenoid? Or is the solenoid on the starter? Check the s terminal for power with the key all the way over to the start position,this will show you that the solenoid is being energized that will in return put the power to the starter from the batteries,also do a voltage drop test on the + and - cables to check there condition.
thanks jeff112 i will get them to try that

mrh1966

Thanks for all your help...............this machine is now working.............loose wiring problems/corrosion......I love the air quality in the Bahamas......salty

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
Moisture from areas around saltwater is really a problem for electrical/metal connections.
Back in the 80's we shipped an electrical panel that got hung up in customs for about 3 months.
It sat in a crate at the port during this time, and the result was a box of rusty corroded parts.
After this we started using stainless screws to assemble the panels.

For a backhoe I would think you need to find something to lubricate or spray all the electrical connections good, after you get the parts replaced/cleaned.

Is the whole machine rusting?

mrh1966

Yes but not too bad on the main ironwork......it is mainly all the screws and bolts which hold things together which a pain because trying to remove to get access etc is a real problem......the gear changer lever has rusted and snapped at the rubber boot and the fixings to get the boot off have rusted away as well.. The indicator lever on the steering column has also rusted through!!!!!a few holes in the floor also

Mrclean1985

Occupation
Golf course mechanic
I have the same issue. 2000 jcb 214e. Cranks very slow and won't start. Use to be able to jump it but that doesn't even work anymore. Replace battery, starter, and battery cable ends. Any other ideas? Replace both battery cables?

Thanks