• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 214 4WD Issue

Chris Harford

Hello I am new to the forum, and was hoping I could get some help. I recently purchased a 2004 JCB 214 Backhoe on an auction. The SN is SLP214TC4U0904041.

This backhoe was in decent shape but did come with some serious issues. I found a lot of electrical issues, so I ended up completely tearing apart the cab and chasing wires all over the place. I ended up patching about 15 different wires which were chewed up by mice in the main wiring harness, and undoing some patchwork wiring fixes which were done by the previous owner. For the most part I think I have solved the bulk of the issues- and everything seems to be working!

There is a couple remaining issues - but the one I am working on now is the 4wd. On the dash this has the selector to choose 2wd/2wb, 2wd/4wb, and 4wd,4wb. I have tried it in both 2wd modes and the top speed seems to be only about 14 mph for the machine. I then put down the stabilizers and bucket and found in both 2wd modes when I put the machine in gear the front wheels are spinning- which indicates to me that maybe the machine is locked in 4wd? Also, maybe this could be limiting the speed of the machine? But then I also read that perhaps some machines were all time 4wd- so possibly that is what I have? Any help would be appreciated!

Power Tan

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
The selector is 2 wheel drive/2 wheel brake and 2 wheel drive /4 wheel brake and 4 wheel drive 4 wheel brake. There are no brakes in the front axle it is done by engaging 4 wheel drive. If you lower just the front so the tires are on the ground do they still move? Could just be residual pressure turning them. Being in 4 wheel drive should not effect your top speed. hopes this helped.....Jim.

Chris Harford

Jim, Thanks for the info- I will check that out. Why would it be maxing out at 14 mph? I believe the top speed on the spec sheet is around 20 mph?

Power Tan

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
Is you shifter to the right of the steering column on the floor or mounted on the steering column? Shounds like you are not getting fourth gear. Have you verified you are getting all the gears? Jim

Chris Harford

The shifter is on the left side of the steering column- push it forward or back for forward and reverse and then twist the handle to change gears- 1,2,3,4. Yes, it is shifting through all 4 gears.

Chris Harford

Thanks for the info! I wish I would have found that sooner- I ended up buying a service manual. I have the powershift transmission- it is getting though all 4 years, however, the top speed is still only about 14 mph.

skata

Thanks for the info! I wish I would have found that sooner- I ended up buying a service manual. I have the powershift transmission- it is getting though all 4 years, however, the top speed is still only about 14 mph.
Not sure which speedometer you have, but the older jcbs would get the speed input from the alternator. So perhaps you are getting up to speed and the speedometer is off.

Chris Harford

Just wondering if anyone had any more thoughts about this- I was able to do a little bit of research. On the 2wd/4wd selector when I set the machine to 2WD(2W) it is in 2 wheel drive, when I set the machine to 2WD(4W) it is in 4 wheel drive, and then 4WD(4W) is also 4 wheel drive- This didn't seem right to me as I thought 2WD(4W) meant two wheel drive and 4 wheel braking. I am getting into 4th gear because when I am in 3rd gear my top speed is like 8-9mph- and then when I switch to 4th gear my top speed is 14-15mph? Is this the normal speed for fourth gear, do I have a transmission problem, or is there possibly some other problem I haven't thought of?

skata

I think road speed depends on tire size. I believe only the newer backhoes have a lockup torque converter that gives a faster road speed.