• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 1CXT blowing fuse

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
G'day,New to the forum it looks great. I'm having problems with a new machine the 1cxt as stated above. Started blowing the 40 amp fuse on start up. I've had an auto sparky out before and he thought it was the ignition barrel so he replaced it. Worked okay for prob 15 odd starts now its blowing again. He can't make it out for 2 days anyone come across this before?

Vetech63

I'm not familiar with that machine either but a 40 amp fuse seems awfully high. Is it in the starter circuit itself? Does the engine start quickly?....or does it roll over a bit before starting. What doesn't work when the fuse blows?.....the starter itself?

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
There's 2 40 amp fuses right next to the battery. It usually starts for about 2 secs then blows. Last time just to move it out of a ditch with rain coming ibtried a 60 amp which blew, then an 80 amp which held so i could move it 20m and raise the loader bucket ready for the sparky. He changed the ignition barrel which worked for a short time now it seems to blowing the fuse even without rolling over now

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
Could it be the starter motor drawing too many amps or glow plugs maybe? Machine only has 170 hrs on it

Tinkerer

Trace the downstream side of the fuse and find what it is connected to. If it is multiple components unhook one at a time and check the current draw at the fuse holder.
Could be a wire has been rubbing against the frame and is grounded out.

hookedondiesel

Using a multimeter on "Continuity" (when you touch the two meter leads together and a sound is heard) disconnect the positive cable from battery, insert one lead from meter into one side of fuse and the other to a ground source. If the meter sounds, you have a short to ground. Disconnect wires from susceptive places until the meter no longer sounds off. You have then found your "short".

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
Okay update. Had the sparky out and he traced it to the glow plugs. He was just about to pack up when right at the back of the engine on the last glow plug found a loose bolt that had dropped down onto it and was touching the glowplug and engine head. So hopefully thats all it was as its starting fine now. The little bugger you could hardly see it and glad he spotted it before i ordered new glow plugs and i thought it was strange as the machine only has 160 odd hrs. Anyway guys appriciate the help hopefully for now im sorted. Right back to work it is