• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 1CX - Have you used one?

z_halen

Holy shi.t dave - You're excused, 4 businesses can't believe that you still have the time to type.

That crusher plant sounds great, I'm sure it will be a goer. Must have been a big effort to import it etc.

Good luck with it all mate

angelsairman

Ive operated a few after making repairs on them as I used to work in a JCB dealership. They seem quite good for a small unit and there are ALOT of attachments available for it. To all the JCB fans out here. Yes JCB has some real innovative ideas, but be forewarned the equipment they mfg now is not what it used to be. Especially the equipment MFG here in Georgia. Poor, poor (did i say poor) assembly. You can tell it is cheap unskilled labor putting these units together if you ever depaneled or crawled under a brand new one to do a predelivery inspection. Hand tight axle bolts, pinchedAC lines, pinched hydro lines, missing hardware MRV's not adjusted to specs i could go on and on. I used to put a minimum of 1 day into a PDI as I was finding so much wrong but be aware JCB doesnt reimburse the dealerships for all the time invested in PDI"S only a few hours so there are alot of technicians do shoddy inspections in order to still break even. There was even one of the articulating loader they came out with to replace the 407 does not came with a saftey strut! When we contacted JCB engineers they assured us we could trust the hydraulic system to hold and there was no strut available!

dario

Hello, my name is Dario and i am a new user to this forum . I am trying to get onto it in the hope that someone will throw a rope at me for some work.. it has been a month since my permanent settlement in Australia and i am yet to find a job !!! with 15yrs of working in with tractors, loaders and backhoes as a heavy duty diesel mechanic, i was hoping that they 'will grab me the minute i landed but to now avail so if you do know of any opp. particularly in Melbourne Australia!!! give me a shout and i will follow up...THAMKS AGAIN ,

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Welcome to the forum dario, but please don't hijack any threads. It's so not cool. Once you have three posts under your name, you become a full member, and can then start your own threads.

wolf88

Occupation
skid steer operator
Ausdave

Hi Aus Dave
just a short note to your post regarding the JCB 1 CX am looking also to get one of those machines to perhaps upgrade from a Clark Bobcat.
Question is can they work in tight places and tight acess EG through garages and carports? In Australia as you know its 2 metres high for rolla doors, can the rops canopy be detached or shortened to 1950mm??
also how are they in terms of stability on inclines working carting material and digging?
Sorry for all the questions but am curious.
Also on your post you mentioned that you got your machine on ebay was that in Australia? Or did you import it here from another location?
Looking forward to your response.
Cheers from a little further South.
P.S you can email me direct also.
regards Steve

joispoi

Hi AusDave. You seem like a busy guy. But if you have the time and interest, I´d love it if you start a thread with more detail about that mini crusher you´ve set up. Cheers. -Joi :drinkup

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Jcb 1cx

Hi Aus Dave
just a short note to your post regarding the JCB 1 CX am looking also to get one of those machines to perhaps upgrade from a Clark Bobcat.
Question is can they work in tight places and tight acess EG through garages and carports? In Australia as you know its 2 metres high for rolla doors, can the rops canopy be detached or shortened to 1950mm??
also how are they in terms of stability on inclines working carting material and digging?
Sorry for all the questions but am curious.
Also on your post you mentioned that you got your machine on ebay was that in Australia? Or did you import it here from another location?
Looking forward to your response.
Cheers from a little further South.
P.S you can email me direct also.
regards Steve

Hi Steve.
After I read your post I went out with the tape measure to see exactly how high the machine was. It's just under 2.3m as per the JCB 1CX brochure so it's not going to fit under a 2m carport etc. I've used it under a number of carports which were mainly around 2.4m, similar to ceiling height. 2m seems awfully low. You'd hit your head if you were on the tall side or wearing a tall hard hat.

The ROPS canopy can be detached with a few large bolts but there is also the wiring for the front and rear worklights which runs through inside the canopy supports which you would have to disconnect. It would be a real pain to have to detach and then fit again. And you wouldn't have any ROPS protection either which may be a serious workplace safety issue on a lot of jobs or if anything went wrong or a branch dropped on you etc. Also I wouldn't consider cutting it shorter as it would probably bugger it.

If you did have to get into a backyard and the carport was too low, depending on the job you may be able to remove a section of fence if the neighbour was amenable and go through that. Easier than fiddling with ROPS removal. If it was a good paying job you may be able to get the machine lifted in by crane over the buildings. Once you are in they are like any skid steer, you can spin it in its own length and maneuver it easily even using the hoe to get the back around if necessary in a tight spot. The backhoe has side shift so you can dig up close and parallel to walls and fences easily.

I haven't been on a lot of steep inclines with it but from what I have done it seems pretty stable with a low centre of gravity. If you keep your bucket low and watch out for holes or soft ground on the bottom side you should be right. You may run out of balls before the machine gets tippy. Good reason for keeping the ROPS well attached and seatbelt on.

Yeah I found the JCB 1CX on ebay in Australia but I didn't get it by bidding for it. I was googling about for a 1CX and came across it on ebay as an item which hadn't sold, so I rang the owner negotiated a bit and ended up buying it. It seems like I got a good deal as it hadn't done a lot of hard work and just needed a bit of maintenance to get it in the condition I wanted it for working. Got 3 backhoe buckets with it as well. There are still a few 1CX's out there on sale but a bit dearer than mine.

Let me know if I can help you further or if you find a 1CX for yourself.

Regards Dave (ph 0411 572 725)

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Mini crusher

Hi AusDave. You seem like a busy guy. But if you have the time and interest, I´d love it if you start a thread with more detail about that mini crusher you´ve set up. Cheers. -Joi :drinkup

Hi Joispoi.

I am going to set up a thread on this crusher when I've got it set up to my satisfaction. Just been a bit busy lately. However I've put up a short clip on Youtube of it during its first test run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DJfHLHJBWM My partner was filming it with a basic camera so its a bit erratic as she didn't know what bits to focus on. Ignore the safety clothing too:eek: We usually wear a bit more around machinery but it was a hot day.

Also here's a photo below of the crusher doing a small run of building waste after I fitted the feed hopper I welded up. I've now got to fit a guard around the belts & flywheel and its close to finished. Then I can do a thread on it.:)

Regards Dave

Attachments

• crusher-may-IMG_5785.jpg
    crusher-may-IMG_5785.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4,206
Last edited:

scoop earthmove

Hi some info. I owned a 4cx JCB awesome machine they are built in the UK. The backhoe is the number 1 machine used in the UK. The main reason they are not popular down under is that people down this neck of the woods don't know how to use them!!! Strange it may sound but if you watch a good JCB backhoe operator in action never mind if it's a 1cx 2cx 3cx 4cx they all operatge the same they are awesome. The front bucket is used heaps not just for loading. You have a fantastic machine there and keep working it you will find how they fully perform through time. I now have a sidsteer 226B and I wish I could get my hands on a 1CX as they are far better. Good luck and keep the posts coming? Some questions what is the all up weight, how long would it be fromm the front bucket on the ground to the rear hoe folded in accross the back, what width is the machine, and what height to the top of the cab. Cheers.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Answer to 1CX questions

. I now have a skidsteer 226B and I wish I could get my hands on a 1CX as they are far better. Good luck and keep the posts coming? Some questions what is the all up weight, how long would it be fromm the front bucket on the ground to the rear hoe folded in accross the back, what width is the machine, and what height to the top of the cab. Cheers.

Hi Scoop.

The overall weight is 2850kg, length from the front bucket on the ground to the rear hoe folded in across the back is 3.4m, width is 1.58m and height to top of the cab is 2.26m. You can get more info from the JCB website.

It's quite compact for its capabilities and although higher than most skid steers, it has excellent 360 degree visibility due to the seating position. No running into/over things in reverse because you can't see them:)

The backhoe gives the 1CX a really good weight distribution and therefore good traction and is less inclined to tip either way with the bucket loaded or unloaded.

The 1CX is hard to come by as they were not that common. But they do come up secondhand occasionally so keep an eye out. Let me know if you need any further info.

Regards AusDave

Firecaptain9

Occupation
Retired FireFighter
Jcb 208s

I Just bought a 1999 JCB 208S. Was not really looking for one, just happened across one at a price I could not resist. $7,500, US.
Has 1600 house, 4in1 front bucket. Not a clue how to operate it yet.
Was looking for a small tractor to re-do my front yard and this popped up.
May sell it after my job is completed. Has a hydraulic hose leaking under the seat, have not isolated it yet. looks to go thru the floor to who knows where.
machine has alot of power from what little I have played with it so far. i feel retarded at the controls so far, looking forward to learning to operate it smoothly.
Bob

JCBgm

What does the CX designate in the model number?

The CX doesn't really designate anything. About 4-5 years ago, JCB changed the model designations in the US. A 1CX for the rest of the world was a 208 in the US. As a matter of uniformity they changed all the backhoe model numbers. What was a 214 in the US became a 3CX as another example.

Firecaptain9

Occupation
Retired FireFighter
WOW, hydraulic hoses are expensive for this 208s, $108 to get one made and they re-used one end.
I now found 4 more leaking hoses. Anyone have a source for hoses with decent prices?

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
WOW, hydraulic hoses are expensive for this 208s, $108 to get one made and they re-used one end.
I now found 4 more leaking hoses. Anyone have a source for hoses with decent prices?

Where abouts in Calif. are you at. I just had a hose made up in Ukiah, and it was $57. It was only about 36" though. This was with both fittings new.

tpitt

Occupation
Don't know how to edit, but forgot to state this was for a JCB 214 sitemaster.
Besides I need to get 3 posts before I can start a new thread.:D

Firecaptain9

Occupation
Retired FireFighter
I am in the San Francisco East Bay area. The guy said that the BSP fittings are about tripple what the american ones are. But looking at 4 more, its too big a hit to take. Can you give me the name of the place in Ukiah? My hose was 64 inches. I think the 4 I need are identical except for length, i can send one to match and give them the lengthsof the others.
I found a place in China that makes the fittings, if I can find out the exact specs, I may just buy them and have them shipped, at 20% or the cost here, it would most likely be well worth it.
it seems to be one heck of a maching, I just do not like the leaks, (but I can buy alot of hydraulic oil for $500+).

tpitt

Occupation
The outfit is Acme Rigging. 1-800-862-4639. The fittings I bought were 13.69 each. Hose was 7.19 per foot + .05 Cents per foot for making the hose. Hope this helps, Terry

mustbecrazy

AusDave,
Nice jbc 1cx. There is a new JCB Dealer here in town and I have been meaning to stop and kick some tires. That 1cx seems to be a nice machine between a backhoe and a skid steer. Gene