• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 1700B 1988 questions (lots) SN# etc

ttman4

Occupation
you name it!!
Well yesterday my son & I pulled the shuttle cooler off & it's no good, really bad shape. Looks to me like it's been frozen at some point and the small tubes inside towards one end are all bent & messed up, like they have blown up. I've found a few on EBay but they don't look like mine. Mine is about 16" long x about 2 1/2" dia. It has an oil inlet toward one end and an oil outlet toward other end. Has place for temp sensor. Has a threaded "stub" on one side that attaches it to a bracket on the tractor frame.
There is a tinfoil sticker on the cooler with Birmingham, England on it, some other unreadable stuff, then some #'s that are totally unreadable. Was hoping I could find/read a part #.
IMG_1057.jpg IMG_1056.jpg
Also can anyone tell me what this welded on metal post is in the pic with the blue arrow pointing at?

IMG_10281.jpg

LN Pipeline

Also can anyone tell me what this welded on metal post is in the pic with the blue arrow pointing at?

Boom lock. It looks like the piece on the boom is missing. It should be hinged in the hole near the cylinder on the far right of the picture.

jcb jeff

The pin in question stuck up is for the travel lock on the rear arm ,you should have a A frame with a small hyd ram on there but looks as if its missing it attaches to the 2 holes on the boom .
If you lift the rear boom all the way up in the straight position you will see what i mean.

jcb jeff

Not sure but this might be the part number your looking for.
There is another type of cooler fitted over here in the uk which is a air cooler that sits in front of the main radiator.
So you could possibly find a cooler and mount one in the front just an idea.

Attachments

• 1700.JPG
    1700.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 10
  • 1700 1.JPG
    1700 1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1700 2.JPG
    1700 2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 10

ttman4

Occupation
you name it!!
Thanks guys.
This now makes sense for a travel boom lock. Also there is a very small hyd line (can barely see it in my pic, small white one) that is ran thru the swingpost area, up the boom to a small block/fitting. Not currently hooked up to anything. I suspect this would go to "a small hyd ram" you mention Jeff.
Both outriggers (that's what we call them over here) have a hook that locks them in the up position. Can see the left one in my pic.
I'm learning more & more about my JCB!
Does anyone know a part # for a shuttle oilcooler that will fit/work for my machine? I've got to get a new one
Edit: Missed your post Jeff, will look at your post. Thanks

jcb jeff

This was another option so a water /oil cooler and an additional air to oil cooler /fan option i guess for hot climates.

Attachments

• 1700 3.JPG
    1700 3.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 9

ttman4

Occupation
you name it!!
Thanks Jeff.
Yesterday I called the JCB Dealer in Portland, Oregon & yes apparently the shuttle oilcooler that fits my machine SN# 335539 is the # you gave me, # 30/203200. It is obsolete over here now, but price is US $2,680.24 if one can be found. The dealer also emailed me a schematic like you gave me, & it had many other part #'s.
He & I talked & discussed option of mounting another oil cooler up front of the radiator to air cool the shuttle oil. Just need to figure out what size it would need. Currently there is another cooler mounted in front of the radiator that apparently is power steering oilcooler.
I also Googled the oil cooler # & found one in Florida that is priced US $2,535.72+shipping.

For now I'm going to study & think on my options, get the system flushed, figure out what shape the shuttle is in, then go from there.
Thanks, James

skata

Can you just install a universal transmission cooler in front of radiator? That would be cheap.

jcb jeff

James
Please picture this is an aftermarket cooler that fits the same jcb transmissions ect.
The only difference with this type you would need to make a support to hold the tube part up ,these are normally sat in a half moon cradle with hose clips around body to cradle to secure if that makes sense.
Yours has a bolt welded to the side for mounting the operation of oil to cooler heat transfer is identical in operation.
The coolant hose id may vary as im not sure of the diameters but that would be an easy modification to make.
And they ship your side of the pond.

Attachments

• cooler 2.JPG
    cooler 2.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 17