• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 110B Crawler Loader

d4c24a

jcb

that machine was way ahead of its time
never really took off ,but look at all the rear engined track loaders now
cheers graham

TLindsay

There was a 112 6 cyl and a 110 4 cyl model ...like d4c24a said ..these machines were away ahead, They must have been the first rear engine machines.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Yeah i saw that awile ago cm, and i was thinking of posting a "who had the first rear engine trackloader" thread. Can you imagine the look on a parts guys face when you go to a jcb dealer to get parts??

DigDug

Never seen the crawler shovel before from JCB. Did JCB ever make a dozer?

Last edited:

terex

Occupation
Curent job:fitter maintaining railway locomotives
We used to have a JCB 110 back in the 1970's. It had a 4 cyl. perkins engine & hydrostatic drive & it would turn in its own length with one track going forward & the other in reverse. It was quite ahead of its time really and JCB went along its own route when designing it rather than copy the traditional designs of the day. Driver comfort was always top of the list with very good visibility excelent sound proofing & good cab entry, the driver even had a cigarette lighter which was quite a luxury compared to the CAT 977's & 983's which we also had in the fleet. Unfortunatley life in the steelworks was a bit rough for the 110, and it was a regular visitor to the workshops with a lot of silly little faults with bits dropping off here and there (sliding cab doors falling off were a favorite!). It was a good effort from JCB though and life away from the steelworks would have suited it better.

Eddiebackblade

There's a local contractor who still runs one in his fleet! He does a lot of work for JCB and has strong ties with the factory, hence the majority of his machinery is JCB.
Someone should be able to locate a photo of the actual machine that sit's inside the reception of the JCB factory, it is restored to the same as the day it was built and is a fascinating machine.
Everyone I know who has used one back in their day has spoken kindly of them and the revolution they caused.

thebaz

Those machines were classic and so ahead of their time. Even forty years later that machine actually doesn't look that out of date compared to a 943. It is interesting that Cat got the credit in most peoples minds for making what was basically a direct copy of a machine that was a new concept from the ground up that JCB invented. A bit like Bill Gates making millions from an interface that Rank Zerox actually invented but didn't patent.
Baz

ih100

Sorry, EddieBackBlade, but I operated a JCB tracked loader in the late 80's / early 90's and I don't have any fond memories, other than the day I wrote it off. They had none of the advantages hydrostatics are supposed to bring, and were harder to operate for a day than any powershift, and I even prefered the manual International Drotts over the JCB. Basically it was the layout of the controls that let them down, and the physical effort to hold the two track levers with one hand while you were operating the bucket controls.

As for Caterpillar, they'd bought one of the International/Hough Model 12 rear engines back in the 60's before JCB had thought of the idea. JCB may have got there with the hydrostatic drive, but not the rear engine. As for JCB being innovators, forget it. What products were they the first to produce? Mind you, I still think they make the best loader/backhoes.

To my mind, International/Drott/Hough were the real innovators.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
As for Caterpillar, they'd bought one of the International/Hough Model 12 rear engines back in the 60's before JCB had thought of the idea. JCB may have got there with the hydrostatic drive, but not the rear engine. As for JCB being innovators, forget it. What products were they the first to produce? Mind you, I still think they make the best loader/backhoes.

To my mind, International/Drott/Hough were the real innovators.

That's true International?Hough had a rear engine track loader before anyone.