• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

January fires in Oregon

Scott S

We have had a crew fighting slash burn rekindles for the last two days just east of Salem Oregon. The small slash fires were set last November and blazed back up due to 30 mph east winds and 16 humidity. There is a 120 + man crew fighting a nearly 250 acre fire just east of Silverton, OR this evening.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20140125/NEWS/301250018/Dry-conditions-drive-several-fires

All of these areas would normally be under 3+ feet of snow, it's been a crazy weather year.

Scott S

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
we had a total of 4 fires burning in western Oregon on Friday.
we are way short on rain and snow between 40 to 80 percent in most places

dirty4fun

Guess I should move back there, in 95 when I moved there that winter was record rain and lots of snow.

hoechucker

We're under red flag warnings down this way too.I heard about a small fire that started sometime Friday morning or Thursday night.and fire crews just put out an almost 400 acre fire that is in a place that's normally covered in snow here. All our yarders sides are still dragging around all the fire tools and such. Very low humidity

loggers son

Occupation
shovel logger operator
I know its our fire season but its a bad year for fires down under as well, with extreme conditions here. The local yarder contractor just lost seven machines in a fire, including his tower. His brother working much further south lost 4 also, with another contractor losing 3 .
fires were started by lightning strikes. Its rare for any machines to be lost at all.

dirty4fun

Ouch, That would hurt to loose that many machines, take a while to replace some of them, I bet.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Wow that's nuts my brother lives in Kelowna, BC and he said they don't have much snow in the mountains either yet here on the eastern Prairies we've got quite a bit at least on the east side of the Red River and temperatures going down to -30 C with a -40 C windchill and nothing but blizzard after blizzard.

WFP1561

Shovel logging is the trend half the cost of running yarders.
Even in old growth stands if the ground is less than 60% the company will use chuckers.