• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

J.Deere 544A oil in flywheel housing

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Does a John Deere 544A have a oil bath flywheel or is the rear main seal leaking. Thank's steve931:usa

bobin35

must be rear main leaking cause your loader has a driveshaft that runs from the engine to transmission is the oil black if so its rear main for sure

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
There is a bell housing that covers flywheel, the yolk for output shaft is outside bell housing,I need to know if this machine has a oil bath flywheel. Thank's anyway.

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Thank you for you time I appreciate your reply. I thought this engine had a dry flywheel but was not sure,again thank's steve931

bobin35

You also may want to closely inspect the rubber drine dampners behind the flywheel cover for rips etc.

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I changed the rubber dampners on a 644 John Deere but I am not sure this 544 has the same system.I am going tomorrow and do some work on this customers 928 cat. I will take a closer look at the 544A again many thank's for your time.

jughead

Occupation
retired
while you are in there check the flywheel to crank bolts some of them go through the crank flange in to the crankcase and have to have a sealer on them.

dirtyboy

Occupation
Synthetic Lube Sales
Jd 544a

Hey Steve931,
How do you like your 544A ?
I am looking at one to buy would like to know if there is anything special I should check before I buy it. It is pretty worn but it starts and moves. I will make it a project to repair for use on my property.
Thanks

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums dirtyboy! :drinkup

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
The 544a is a good machine,parts are easy to find and used parts are available.The most expensive is the transmission, be sure to check it good.