• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

J D 892D LC with Loud Popping Sound (off & on) when you Swing, What's the Problem ?

HighFly27

Occupation
Retired ~ Currently Buying Hvy. Equip. for Big Pon
I'm looking at a JD 892D-LC that has had a lot of money ( $ 30K) put in it but has a new problem and it's for sale.

Items Just Replaced: (2) New Pumps; Brand New Engine = $ 30 K.

Now, a new problem showed up after the $ 30 K Repairs. I have Not been out to check the machine yet. The owner said, when you Swing, you can hear a Popping Sound, ease off on the Swing Lever and it will continue on in it's Swing.

I called a friend that's worked on equipment and he suggested the following:

1. Pinion Bearing Shot in Swing Motor.

2. Gear Tooth Sheared Off or Partially.

3. He mentioned Hydraulics and asked if it does it the same (on the swing) place but the owner did not know.

4. Turn Table Bearings

I'm wondering, if anyone has experienced a similar problem.... the popping sound, ease off and it will continue to swing.

I'm sending a experienced mech. to look at the JD 892 tomorrow. He will call me with what he found. I asked him to verify iif it happens in one spot or not.. or kicks in at random degrees in the 360 turn. I asked him to drag the bucket and see if the sound got louder as well. I wanted him to check movement (play) in the turn table as well.

Do you have any other checks to recommend ?

I don't need a hoe quite this big... a 20 ton hoe would suit me. It's only 90 miles from me and I could use it's power to dig a big pond (small lake) and digging in (concrete) tough shale. The price is $ 17 K, about scrap price, delivered. If big buckets ($ 30 K) had not been spent.. I would not consider the JD 892. I could part it out. over time for the $ 17 K if (with proof of New Engine and (2) Pump) I ran into a major deal with the Turn Table.

Thanks in Advance.

Avery