• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IUOE 542 apprenticeship

Jpchem

I have been trying to get into the local 542 for a while now. I do pretty well on the test and I think I do well in the interview but nothing after. I am a veteran and I do have some experience running equipment. I need some advice on what else I can do to help me get in. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks

crane operator

You don't have a "long lost uncle fred"? Some unions can be really tough to get into, if they have a bunch of guys sitting on the bench- they really don't want more.

Sometimes the best way is to find a employer that's union, and get them to request you from the hall. That isn't the way its supposed to work, but that's how it works a lot in the real world.

If we knew your actual skill set- we would know a little better whether you have a chance at getting in. Are you wanting in as a journeyman, or as a apprentice? Most big union outfits, with the cost of the equipment and the tight schedules, don't have time to do a lot of training. If your a really good operator, and are willing to work hard, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job.

Jpchem

I am looking to be an apprentice. I used to run some equipment back hoe front end loader forklift for a ranch I used to work at. Also I used to run an overhead crane in a a factory. In the army I was a chemical ops guy in a engeering unit so I would go out and run the equipment.

Tinkerer

Have you talked to the apprenticeship coordinator ?
He /she will have all the answers for you.
Is the apprenticeship program open to new participants ?
If work is slow and there are very many members and apprentices out of work your chances are slim to none.

Jpchem

I have spoken to the apprenticeship coordinator they only take applications once a year. They always seem to take about 10 or so people out of about 90. They generally will take top 15 or so for an interview and I've been to that stage about 5 or 6 times.

Tinkerer

I would suggest that you go back and talk to the administrator.
Applicants that show an interest by stopping into their office once in a while will get more attention than someone who passes the tests and never go back.
In the Local 150 area a union contractor cannot and will not call the hall and request a non-union member to be sent to them for employment.
They do have a call-back option for anyone that has worked for them before. It may be the same in 524.

Jpchem

I will go by and see if I can talk to the apprenticeship coordinator. I have called every once in a while but you are right I should stop by so that they can see that I am interested. During the interview the interviewer kept talking about my age being a factor. He was saying I was too young and I could keep applying. Which is true I can keep applying. But I am 34 years old. Is that on the young side for being an apprentice engineer?

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Most of the apprentices I’ve met were in the mid 20’s

crane operator

So you've interviewed 4 or 5 times? and they only have interviews once a year, so you've been trying to get in for 4-5 years? If you really want to get in, you're going to need to get a job non- union running equipment and get a lot more experience.

I worked a large powerhouse project around 10 years ago. We were sitting around at lunch (5 or 6 of us) and comparing work history. All of us were 40-55 years old, with most of us having 10 years or less in the union. We had gotten started as non union equipment operators, and gotten good at running equipment. Most of us had then been "hired" by a union contractor, and then joined the union. One of the 6 of in there had gone through apprenticeship. Of the rest- none of us started through the hall. I was a little less than clear about the being hired through the "hall", sorry about that.

We all knew someone working for, or owning a union company, that was looking for good operators, and then we became "union" operators. Of the 6 of us there, one had been a apprentice, and the rest of us had learned our trade one day at a time working non union. Most of us starting on a shovel.

Is it the way its supposed to work? No. But it happens a lot. And this is just my own personal experience, I'm sure its a lot different in chicago or east coast.

No one's going to hire you at 34 without a lot of experience and pay full union rate for you. There aren't enough openings for apprentices, because the employers don't have that much need for guys who don't know what they are doing. There's not enough "learning" positions out there. The union contractors mainly do the large prevailing wage projects, roads, schools, hospitals, powerhouses, etc. With the costs of today's equipment and the liability concerns, no ones turning over a $300,000 piece of equipment over to a 20 year old guy who has played around at the training center with one. Its got to be done right, and done fast.

Don't get me wrong, the best training centers I've seen are union ones, but there's no training that's going to be like 15 years of running a excavator, be it for a union or non- union company. That's why the union contractors bring on guys that are 40 years old with a bunch of experience, because they are actually worth the wages and benefits that they have to pay.

Jpchem

Bls repair that's what I thought too I was getting a bit on the old side for it but the guy from the hiring hall kept coming back to me being young. I work in a warehouse now. And I also ran some equipment in the army. I will keep applying for the apprenticeship program but I think that crain opprator is right too. I should maybe go get some experience running something else for a non union shop for a while.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Maybe talk to your congressman to put word in for you for your military service.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I hear 132 in West Virginia is running short on people, maybe if you went down there you might have a shot to get on a dirt roller or something? Possible way to get experience?

Jpchem

I think I might try to get in touch with the congressman from around here. See if he can do something. And see if west verginia had anything for me I am trying to leave no stone unturned.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Helmets2hardhats.org It's for veterans interested in working in the trades. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Red Roan

542 is just plain hard to get in to. I'm an independent sitework/ UG utility estimator, I have a few companies I work for that are non-union, but do prevailing wage work almost exclusively. Maybe that's an option for you. One of my clients who does public water and sewer is looking for qualified help. Due to some very successful public bidding over the winter and spring, we now have a substantial backlog going well into 2019, and he's growing. I'm in SE PA, pm me if you're interested. If you're a good enough hand, and will commit to spending some time with them, help with re-location may also be possible. We work mostly in the "29" county area, laborers get 25.00/ hr. + 17.00 fringes. Operators get 35.00/hr + 25.00 fringes. If we venture into the "5" county area, wages are significantly higher. If you don't immediately meet their qualifications as an operator, hop in the ditch for a while,
watch and learn