• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Its that time of year. Lets discuss ether.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I like to use ether as cleaning fluid. Because it is pretty much non toxic, it does not attack plastic like acetone in brake cleaner, it evaporates super fast, etc.

One reason to be concerned is its flammable range. Acetone, like gasoline and propane, has a flammable range in air of something like 5-15%. It has to be right to fire. Ether is something crazy like 3-50%. That must be why it is used as a starting fluid, because it will fire no matter what the concentration might be.

I always think about when I will need to start an engine or cause a spark before I go hosing ether all around.

I rebuilt the posi in one of my pickups one time and ran out of brake clean to clean out the housing. Figured ether would work. Yeah no, not a good idea. Fumes accumulated under the truck box. Lifted my head a bit as I was trying to climb out and just about passed out.

Vetech63

List of damages below...……
1. Outer plastic of trash bag on one side before I got it out of the truck. No truck damage.
2. One left handed jersey glove
3. A bit of hair on my arm and face
4. My ego
5. My pride

It only lasted a few hours though, now I'm good to go again! :D

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Well... Uh… Ether boo boos. I once ran a can under a Bostrom seat on a scraper, no ignition but I ran with my head out the window for a while. The other was trying to start an old 66A D9, I dropped the can while reaching over to crank the engine... it landed on the starter terminals. boom. Luckily the explosion blew the can out before it did much damage to the machine.

Tenwheeler

Actually I bought it that way. Did I do well?
It is an Isuzu in a Mustang. I drained the coolant out of the bottom of the pan and got it to run. What really surprised me came from the machine shop. Sure we can sleeve the block for the replaceable sleeve. It will be like new no problem.