• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It's hard to get good help these days...

AussieChris

Some photos for your viewing pleasure. These are from a company (who shall remain nameless) owned by a friend of mine here in Australia. They're not afraid to do the hard stuff (or the swampy stuff). But sometimes you have to wonder about the operators.

Enjoy...

A Sumitomo digger with a broken boom...

Attachments

• BoomBroke1.jpg
    BoomBroke1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,150
  • BoomBroke2.jpg
    BoomBroke2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,131

AussieChris

A Cat dump truck looking a bit second hand (I bet it stopped quick)...

Attachments

• CatBroken1.jpg
    CatBroken1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,135
  • CatBroken2.jpg
    CatBroken2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • CatBroken3.jpg
    CatBroken3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • CatBroken4.jpg
    CatBroken4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,117

AussieChris

Working some unstable ground...

Attachments

• StuckCat1.jpg
    StuckCat1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,082
  • StuckCat2.jpg
    StuckCat2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,104
  • CatOnEdge1.jpg
    CatOnEdge1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,136
  • CatOnEdge2.jpg
    CatOnEdge2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,116

AussieChris

Dump truck vs bridge (lower that tipper before travelling)...

Attachments

• DumperVsBridge3.jpg
    DumperVsBridge3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DumperVsBridge2.jpg
    DumperVsBridge2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,103
  • DumperVsBridge1.jpg
    DumperVsBridge1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,082

AussieChris

Slight damage to dipper stick on a 20 or 30 tonner...

Attachments

• StickDamage1.jpg
    StickDamage1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,115
  • StickDamage2.jpg
    StickDamage2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,110

AussieChris

Ground's a bit soft in places...

Attachments

• StuckCrane.jpg
    StuckCrane.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,110
  • Sloppy2.jpg
    Sloppy2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Sloppy1.jpg
    Sloppy1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,075

AussieChris

This Mitsubishi was brand spanking new. I don't think the operator works there any more!

Attachments

• NewMistubishi.jpg
    NewMistubishi.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,110

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Great pics AussieChris, but I have to ask; how does your friends company make any money with so much equipment destruction???

AussieChris

Finally, a rolled loader and a twisted crane to finish off with.

Regards,
Chris.

Attachments

• RolledLoader.jpg
    RolledLoader.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • CraneTwisted1.jpg
    CraneTwisted1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,079
  • CraneTwisted2.jpg
    CraneTwisted2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,069

AussieChris

Great pics AussieChris, but I have to ask; how does your friends company make any money with so much equipment destruction???

Very good question. In their defense, they are a big company and those pics were taken over a number of years. They have a couple of dozen excavators in the 20 to 30 ton class and as many large dozers. I guess they don't miss one or two!

Chris.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Very good question. In their defense, they are a big company and those pics were taken over a number of years. They have a couple of dozen excavators in the 20 to 30 ton class and as many large dozers. I guess they don't miss one or two!

Chris.

I hear ya brother! But the boom snapped off that Sumi just looks messed up! And a P&H/Kobelco crane stuck in a swamp??? Cranes and swamp just don't mix. I want to say I love the pics...but I realise also that this destruction means money. No...great pics. :D

td25c

Thanks for sharing the pictures AussieChris.It looks like your mate has alot of equipment & tough jobs to deal with.As the old saying go's "the more job's you do,The more trouble you will see".We have similiar proplems on job sites as well.It keeps the wreckers ,welders,& mechanics busy.

dozerdave

AussieChris,

Thank you for sharing your pictures. Yes touring the job with the bed up will always cause problems. I have seen 3 accidents caused by the driver not lowering his bed before moving. 1 Koering Dumpster, I R30 Euc, and I R85 Euc. The Koering went roaring into the tunnel and the cab protector caught the fan line and swung the front of the truck around into the air and water lines tearing them both out and put a huge lump on the teamsters head. Lots of noise from the escaping air.

JDOFMEMI

Thanks for some more safety meeting topics.

I agree, the more work you do, the more likely to find trouble.

When times are busy, you always end up with a few bad apples for operators, and sometimes this kind of damage happens before they are found out and sent off.

I have seen much of this kind of thing over the years.

The Cat artic is a bit of a surprise, as it is the first one I have seen split apart when it went over.

DPete

I could live on that carnage bill, really wonder how an outfit can make it with that stuff going on. What kind of profit do you need to offset the losses and if their insurance still covers them what their premium is ?

AussieChris

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dozerdave, I've often wondered why, on dump trucks, they don't put a switch on the bed that stops you going into forward gear with the body up. Or at least sound a buzzer.

All the best,

Chris.

dozerdave

Hi AussieChris,

I think I read here someplace in HEF that Volvo has that feature now. That's one plus for the ejector truck.

JDOFMEMI

Dozerdave

You are mostly right.

On the Volvo trucks, you can have it set where it will not shift out of first gear untill the bed is all the way down. It is selectable in the computer.

They have had that ability at least since 1996 when the "C" models came out. Don't know if the older ones could do that or not.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I agree that leaving the dump body up is simply carelessness. The other pictures, until I know the full story I am reluctant to criticize. The Sumitomo hoe, there are big pieces of rock in the picture. Working in rock :Banghead is always very hard on the equipment, no matter how cautious the operators are. I think the boom breaking on those early hydraulic excavators was not uncommon when working in rock that had not been ripped or blasted. As for the cranes and trackhoes in the mud, I am thinking maybe they should have given the operators swamp mats to work on.

Last edited: