• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Isuzu 4JB1 T (for turbo) - about zero online parts listings...?

Pants

...Birken, from your work on the 4JB1/T engines, do all of them have the type of oil-cooler in the photo I'm posting?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pMUF3PMPs5gVrP7S8
PNxDLu4Rfc7y6G4UA

Interference with getting to all of my injectors finally caused me to pull out the pair of cooler lines, and of course the hose and all associated fittings were in poor shape (had to cut the hose to get it out anyway). So while I'm replacing hoses, it's also occurred to me that I might not really NEED the oil-cooler to begin with, though it's probably better to have it than not.

I once had a small leak from some part of it (can't recall whether oil or water) but disassembly and repair made me want to back away very slowly and quietly - I couldn't believe there were not worse leaks, from the way it appeared to be assembled. Seems to me if I'd wanted to delete the cooler entirely, it would have been fairly simple to remove it and still have the oil-filter spin-on setup work almost the same as before, but I stopped short because I don't know how important it is.

Pants

... also haven't run across what appears to be a small coolant hose feeding...the turbo?...gets to it from the water-outlet, then a banjo fitting on the turbo, then down through another small steel tube and into the block, presumably the water-jacket?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rjJEJipd3cwRygru5
(I thought turbos were typically lubed by oil-pump taps of one variety or another, the oil then being returned to the sump, so this was a surprise to me.)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I can't recall having seen anything like that on an Isuzu. Oil coolers are usually standard on a turbo engine, though. And a water cooled turbo is not unheard of. Nowadays they are all water cooled.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I can't recall having seen anything like that on an Isuzu. Oil coolers are usually standard on a turbo engine, though. And a water cooled turbo is not unheard of. Nowadays they are all water cooled.

John V

One of about three small but important items I need to cover before this LONG project is done is getting the tightening-torque about right for the injector retaining bolts. I've looked high and low online for this and can't find it. Anyone got common-practice- or factory-manual-based advice?
Again, it's the Isuzu 4JB1-T engine; mine's c. 1997.
I looked up generic torque for the fasteners involved, but it seems way high: 61 ft-lbs for an M10-1.25 . Considering the relatively short embedment, and that it's in cast iron, I am about sure I'd strip the holes out if I used that high of a torque.

Mahalo - Dave
Attached an engine service manual for 4ja1/4jb1 engines. Page 103 looks like it has the specs on reinstalling the injectors.

Attachments

• a4ja1.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 7

Pants

John V - thank you SO much. I've paged through the whole thing at this point. Seems like the generic torque for bolt size from other resources is about twice what Isuzu calls for, so I'm really glad I didn't press on trying to get there.

I'm sure this will come in handy for all kinds of future concerns, too. Mahalo!