• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Isolating the towing plant from towed vibratory roller

Ben 555

We have an old Davleco 6t 72 inch towed padfoot running a Cat 3304, to help us clean up access tracks / roads on our property. It runs a large swivel tow ring.

We have either a D6C73A / 76A (using the ripper frame as the mount) or a MF 120hp wheel tractor (using the draw bar as the mount) as the tow vehicle, but even in soft fills the unit is transferring a lot of vibration through to the tow vehicle.

Has any of the old hands who used these types of machines got any tips / set ups on ways of reducing the transfer of vibration?
Whilst the drum rubbers look OK, would replacing them with new units potentially reduce the energy transfer?

I am afraid that we are going to damage the tow vehicles if we cant improve the dampening

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Whilst the drum rubbers look OK, would replacing them with new units potentially reduce the energy transfer?
Hi Ben - The answer is yes, particularly if the rubber pads appear hardened, or the rubber is showing signs of cracking.

I don't recall vibration transfer being a problem from the Davleco vibrating rollers I used in the Australian Army. We usually towed them with a Cat 966B loader.

There is the option of modifying the hitch to include a couple of large rubber isolator pads, if the problem isn't solved by replacing the rubber isolator pads on the roller.

Cmark

It can be a problem with the vibration frequency being out of sync with the harmonics of the roller. Try experimenting with adjusting the engine RPM up or down slightly.