• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Iso 46 or Iso 68 Hydraulic Fluid

Beckbenj

Hi All,

I’m in the process of changing out the hydraulic oil on a Kubota KX161-2. The book recommends shell tellus Iso 46 for between 20F and 70F, and Iso 68 for temperatures up to 90F. With my being in northern Ohio, I don’t expect to see long periods at the upper temperature range.

I’ve read several opinions on which oil to use, some comments mentioning a heavier oil should be used on an older machine due to parts having wear, etc. My KX has about 3,700 hours on it.

Any opinions on Iso 46 vs. 68? Or should I consider a multi weight oil?

IceHole

I've always used ISO 32 in everything at home. At work it's ISO 15

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
I would go with the 46W. I just did our Kubota 121-3 and used the Kubota All Season hydraulic excavator oil. I'm in southern Alberta so we have a wide temperature range during the year. ( -40 to +40 ) I wouldn't run the equipment at the extremes though.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I put new fluid in my Taki and Link Belt and went with 46HV which is a multi weight. Its green in color.

Beckbenj

Thanks guys. Iso 46 it is. I haven’t been able to find info on the temperature ranges for the HV, but that’s interesting to me as well.

IceHole

Thanks guys. Iso 46 it is. I haven’t been able to find info on the temperature ranges for the HV, but that’s interesting to me as well.
I use Rando HDZ. Don't have the spec sheet handy (on potato internet) but the 32 is around -50* and the 15 is -80*

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
We had a similar problem with hydraulic drive oil system on an antenna array and I sourced a thermostatic controlled oil cooler array, coupled with power operated shutters offering 86% airflow restriction, and of course a blower assembly coupled to the shutters operation. All said and done this worked very well at controlling oil temperature and viscosity throughout ambient temperature swings. This system operated with conventional ISO46 oil all year round and never had problems afterward.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
Not to side track the original posters question but since we are further down the path. ISO is zinc free correct ?
AW is zinc enriched.

My apologies OP.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not to side track the original posters question but since we are further down the path. ISO is zinc free correct ?
AW is zinc enriched.
In a word, no.

ISO (International Standards Organisation) is the metric equivalent of the SAE. So any particular ISO 46 hydraulic oil can either be zinc-free (aka ashless) or can use a zinc-based anti-wear additive package. You have to look at the spec sheet or the sales blurb to determine which one.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
In a word, no.

ISO (International Standards Organisation) is the metric equivalent of the SAE. So any particular ISO 46 hydraulic oil can either be zinc-free (aka ashless) or can use a zinc-based anti-wear additive package. You have to look at the spec sheet or the sales blurb to determine which one.
Thank you again Nige! You’re a rock star!