• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ISO 16028 Flush Face connectors impossible to connect.

Tony H

Guys what is the secret with these "Non-Spill" connectors?
New to this game so I'm sure there's an answer. Got a 4 in 1 Front loader bucket. For my JCB MIDI CX works fine, disconnected it the other day and now I cannot get the connectors to mate. Apparently the Pressure is too great in the system for me to push the connectors on. I did turn the machine off and move the Levers to depressurize. Should I have done that BEFORE taking the bucket off .
I'm guessing there is a procedure that is not in any manual to make these connectors work easily. OR did the environmental people win one and decide that the No Drip factor is more important then the functionality of the connector.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, you should "de-pressurize" the attachment before disconnecting. And the reason you can't connect at present is most likely pressure in the attachment lines. You may have to crack open the fittings on the attachment hoses to relieve this pressure. Very common problem with attachments with quick connect fittings. Problem will also occur in the hot summer when the heat causes the oil inside the attachment to expand and again makes connection hard. There's no perfect method for dealing with this, but at best, slightly open the 4 in 1 bucket, tilt it forward and place it on the ground so it's resting on both parts of bucket (like a clam bucket at rest), release pressure on machine lines, disconnect quick couple fittings, and then join the attachment hoses together for storage.

Tony H

Thanks guys.
I have two spare connectors, I guess I will attach the connector for a second and hopefully that will relieve the pressure.
Makes sense except for an issue I will have with my removable Backhoe. It's supposed to lift off using the Bucket and outriggers as a tripod. I use the Outriggers to lift it off the tractors brackets, pull forward then disconnect the Lines. Sounds like that will be under pressure all the time. Haven't tried it yet but lie a hard time there

See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duhX26WDDI8

Delmer

Problem will also occur in the hot summer when the heat causes the oil inside the attachment to expand and again makes connection hard. There's no perfect method for dealing with this, but at best, slightly open

I don't think it will be such a problem with the backhoe, because you can't extend all the cylinders at the same time. It's not usually the weight that creates the pressure, it's a fully extended cylinder that won't allow expansion.

Graham1

If you are regularly getting problems even after dumping the pressure before dropping and again before picking up there is a tool to connect these with residual pressure
http://www.holp-gmbh.de/index.php?option=com_exp_product&id=8&Itemid=61&lang=en
I bought one after having problems with hire machines. We work in lots of environmentally sensitive areas, so cracking the pipes to let the pressure out is frowned upon.
Graham

Tony H

Delmar.. good thought, I will try and leave the Bucket open a bit so the cylinders are slightly closed.

Graham1 I wonder if I can buy that here in the States.
Thanks to all for the fundamental reason I'm having the problem... no room for expansion

Not a big fan of cracking the connectors lose.. Don't want leaking fittings on my home tractor.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
On my old quick tach tractor hoe I throw a couple of 6x6 chunks under the hoe frame and lift the outriggers up to where the weight sets mostly on the blocks and the outriggers only stabilize, then relieve the pressure before disconnecting the couplers.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
If you are regularly getting problems even after dumping the pressure before dropping and again before picking up there is a tool to connect these with residual pressure
http://www.holp-gmbh.de/index.php?option=com_exp_product&id=8&Itemid=61&lang=en
I bought one after having problems with hire machines. We work in lots of environmentally sensitive areas, so cracking the pipes to let the pressure out is frowned upon.
Graham

Thanks for the link about the tool Graham1 :) I wish I would have had one of those when we had our 410G as every time we put the hoepak on I had to crack fittings, not because of the machine side but the hoepak side would develop pressure from sitting in the sun or something???

Tony H

Looked on many 'Attachment ' websites.. Can't find anyone that sells this tool here in the USA.
The Website that sells the tool has many countries to pick from for a dealer.. no American flag in the selection. Bummer

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way this thread has played out I get the impression that you had problem connecting a 4 in 1 bucket at the front of the machine because of pressure in the attachment lines, and you anticipate similar problem when re-connecting the backhoe attachment to the rear of the machine, no?

Tony H

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way this thread has played out I get the impression that you had problem connecting a 4 in 1 bucket at the front of the machine because of pressure in the attachment lines, and you anticipate similar problem when re-connecting the backhoe attachment to the rear of the machine, no?
That is correct. My Backhoe Uses it's outriggers to lift it off the Tractor bracket, then the Hoe rests on the outriggers and Hoe making a tripod. Seems to me you can't relieve pressure when the Pistons are holding the entire Hoe assembly up.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The backhoe attachment is a bit different than the 4/1 bucket attachment, the fluid pressure will be held by the control valve on the backhoe attachment not the lines connecting to the machine. True, there may be some pressure on those lines, but the control valve is holding the pressure on the cylinder lines. If you continue having this problem you might consider changing the quick connectors, the Stucchi A-HD will connect by hand with 1500 psi residual pressure on the lines and the APM will connect by hand with 3500 psi residual pressure on the lines. The trick would be adapting to the hose fitting and bulkhead threads on the JCB machine.

Tony H

Great answer. I'm new to this Tractor game and totally a novice in the world of Hydraulics.

Makes sense Yes the entire valving comes off with the Hoe so . yeah, the pressure only goes that far, I didn't think of that.
We will see how that goes.. I do not need to get the hoe off for the Cat 1 Hitch use yet but I am a little a'scared to do it.

Graham1

If you email Holp, (especially if you include a google translation) they are very helpful. At the time they had no UK dealer, but were in the process of getting one, so they gave my the guys details and we were his first customer in the UK. If there is no dealer in US they may well arrange to ship you one or let you have details of one of their dealers who would ship to you.
Graham

Tony H

When you first gave me the URL I went and looked for an E-mail. They only seem to have Dealerships and they have phone numbers not e-mail addresses. I will go back and look again.

Tony H

yup. found that. When I hit 'Send' I get a pop up. it's in another language so I'm not sure if it's saying "thank you your message is sent" Or "Go away you stupid American"
I hope it got sent.
thanks Graham

Tony H

E-mailed Both addresses... ZERO response.
I wish they had a bit close shots of the tool, I'd make one myself.
A solid rod with teeth. As you press the handle down there is a bracket that catches the teeth and at that point it forces the rod into a hollow pipe. But there must be some critical point where the bracket grabs the teeth so it Pulls properly. I may fool around a bit.
It just would have been nice to get a response.