• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is this idler toast?

Matt Hyatt

Hey guys,

I blew a track up this week and had a new bridgestone laying around, so I just put that one on and am ordering another to match it, and on the side that I need to replace the track on, the rear idler is a lot thinner than the other side which I just replaced the track on. I bought this TL140 with 3100 hours on it, it now has 3340 - the rental yard I bought it from told me they never changed the sprockets, and when I bought it - they replaced a drive hose and bogey that was hung up, and off I went.

I did a lot of internet searching last night to see what worn U/C looks like - I've seen hooked and pointy teeth on the sprockets and know what worn sprockets look like from motorcycles. My question is:

1) Do idlers ever break or crack? Does this need to get replaced? I don't want it breaking and tearing up a new track. seems most replacement occur when the bearings go bad?
2) These sprockets look decent right? Good enough for another set of tracks?

Attachments

• bad idler.jpg
    bad idler.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • good idler.jpg
    good idler.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I’m new but I’ve heard that the sprockets should be changed with the tracks... just like motorcycles...but I’m not sure if it’s done in practice or how many hours a sprocket should last.
Not sure on idlers... maybe there’s a measurement in the manual that could tell you if it’s too worn?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I pulled up Taki's website to get an idea of what a new Taki sprocket looks like and tried to compare it to yours. The sprocket on the side that has the thin rear idler looks worse than the other side. I would replace the sprockets and the thin rear idler, it appears from pictures that your sprockets clearly don't have the bite that the new ones do. I have broken off edges of the idlers before, it was not enough to effect anything so I ran it like that. I would check all the rollers since you would have the track off and make sure that they all move freely.

Matt Hyatt

I pulled up Taki's website to get an idea of what a new Taki sprocket looks like and tried to compare it to yours. The sprocket on the side that has the thin rear idler looks worse than the other side. I would replace the sprockets and the thin rear idler, it appears from pictures that your sprockets clearly don't have the bite that the new ones do. I have broken off edges of the idlers before, it was not enough to effect anything so I ran it like that. I would check all the rollers since you would have the track off and make sure that they all move freely.

Thanks KSSS - I see what you're talking about. I always thought that they would only hook when worn, not just wear down and round out. I'm probably going to dump this loader after a few hundred hours and by something a little fresher - is there much harm is running as is and not throwing the extra $1000 out for 2 sprockets and idler? I'd realistically put 100-200 hours on it and then be mostly done with the tractor and it would be something like 20 hours a year until I bought a newer loader.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think as long as the sprocket isn't slipping in the track when you push it hard, you would fine. You might get beat up on your price when you go to sell or trade yours due to the wear, if the buyer knows what to look for. You could price it a little higher and negotiate a reduced price based on the need for sprocket replacement if it becomes an issue with the buyer.. All depends on the market and the buyer as to what you could make work. I don't see you ruining your new tracks, with those sprockets, but if they do slip, and you have your tension correct, I would stop running it until you get new sprockets.

skata

What year is your tl140? Those drives look different than mine. The teeth on the sprocket look short too.

Matt Hyatt

It’s a 2004. I think in this year only, they had the same motors as the 130. I called Tak in georgia and asked them if anyone there knew why, the most tenured guy there didn’t know why, but that they changed motors shortly after. Could have been a supply thing. Price thing, or quality.