• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is there a quick fix?

Bosvark Kzn

I replaced link assemblies (same brand) on both my Komatsu PC200-7 and Hitachi ZX200 two years ago. Both sets of tracks developed the same problem. It looks like seizure on the pin/bush.The machines did about 1800 to 2000 hrs when the problem occured. The supplier says: 'Sorry, our warranty is 12 months/1500 hrs, can't help, but try diesel to free it." Really?. The machines worked on general hire, but never in water, and even working in water daily shouldn't cause it. Any suggestions on how to free the pin/bush?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 298

Bosvark Kzn

Thanks for the reply, uffex. I'm trying to get the supplier to assist by stripping and cleaning the link assemblies, but so far no luck. I'll tighten the screws some more on the supplier, hopefully they will come to the party.

lantraxco

1) Change that idler because it's shot.

2) put the track on right, tension it up as tight as you can until you're a bit afraid of adding more grease.

3) Fasten seat belt snugly

4) run it as fast as you can over the hardest surface you can find for a while.

5) If you have shallow water hand, running it back and forth over river rock with the links underwater may actually help

6) laugh at me, everybody thinks I'm crazy anyway :rolleyes:

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey lantrax is there and unspoken step that involves beer and a cowboy hat ? Lol with almost 2000 hrs in 2 years I'm surprised they froze

Welder Dave

Have read many times from experienced operators, running in water actually does free up the links.

delectric123

1) Change that idler because it's shot.

2) put the track on right, tension it up as tight as you can until you're a bit afraid of adding more grease.

3) Fasten seat belt snugly

4) run it as fast as you can over the hardest surface you can find for a while.

5) If you have shallow water hand, running it back and forth over river rock with the links underwater may actually help

6) laugh at me, everybody thinks I'm crazy anyway :rolleyes:
How do you see that the idler is shot? Is it worn down? It looks about the same as mine with 4000 hrs.

lantraxco

Hey lantrax is there and unspoken step that involves beer and a cowboy hat ? Lol with almost 2000 hrs in 2 years I'm surprised they froze

I forgot 3.5) Snug down cowboy hat, lean out the cab door and holler "Hold my beer and watch this boys!"

I wonder if this is a set and forget loading job? 2000 hours but how much track travel yeah?

lantraxco

How do you see that the idler is shot? Is it worn down? It looks about the same as mine with 4000 hrs.

Maybe it's just my old eyes. The fact that the inside link is riding on the outside surface of the idler wheel may be causing me to see an optical delusion.

Bosvark Kzn

Thank you all for the replies. The idler is 100%, pic taken while fitting the track after replacing the final drive. I suspect the seized up track contributed to the failure of the final drive. The problem first occured at 1800 to 2000 hours, but to date the machine clocked 2800 hours with the set of tracks in question. The machine works on general hire, not dig and load application only, it's done a fair amount of walking. Wear currently is 1mm on link height and 1mm wear on the bush.