• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is it safe to power wash an old excavator?

Old Doug

Look out for places were there are seals and try not to blow water up into what they seal .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What excavator?

Once saw an "operator" wash down the inside of the enclosed cab on a 308E2 with a garden hose including the monitor.. :rolleyes:

skyking1

I strongly suggest that you grub out the area around the swivel manually first.
1) pressure washing that area will blast it back at you mercilessly. Grab out what you can with scrapers and gloves first. When you are doing this you can identify and clear out a path to drain out past the edge of the swing gear. I pull a cover off the bottom, for example and then can blast stuff in that general direction.
2) If it does not have a place to go, you will put water into the swing gear tub past the swivel seal.
3) I find that starting with a scraper and a cardboard box, you can gather and dispose of lots of built up ancient grease at the pins without having to wear it and walk in it forever.
Once the big hunks are off then a quick blast will leave it looking OK. Just carving that stuff off with the washer does not make it go away.

Last edited:

perryskorp

I strongly suggest that you grub out the area around the swivel manually first.
1) pressure washing that area will blast it back at you mercilessly. Grab out what you can with scrapers and gloves first. When you are doing this you can identify and clear out a path to drain out past the edge of the swing gear. I pull a cover off the bottom, for example and then can blast stuff in that general direction.
2) If it does not have a place to go, you will put water into the swing gear tub past the swivel seal.
3) I find that starting with a scraper and a cardboard box, you can gather and dispose of lots of built up ancient grease at the pins without having to wear it and walk in it forever.
Once the big hunks are off then a quick blast will leave it looking OK. Just carving that stuff off with the washer does not make it go away.
awesome advice, thanks.