• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is it possible to test into a Union?

BigIron25

Hello,
I have a quick question for anyone who has an answer! Say if I were to have on the job training/experiance or if someone were to go to a private operator school would they be able to take a skills test to get into a Union? Or would they have to start all over with an apprenticeship to get into the Union? If its possible to take a practical test to gain acceptance into a union, is there a set standard on hours in order to be considered for the test? Or are there just a few things you need to demonstrate with each machine to prove you are proficient? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you! :usa

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
in local 150, chicago/northern il, it depends on the job and if we can cover the job with someone in the hall. we do sell permits that allow you to buy a card after about 3000 hours, but there are tons of restrictions on them.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Every local is different. Out here, if you want to come in as a journeyman, you pay a bunch of dues to start out. I think it's around $1,000 or so. Then you go out to the grounds and prove yourself on 2 pieces of equipment. I believe that's how it works anyway.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Most locals I know of give practical tests like that for experienced people.(When they have work.) The only thing is, if the local you want to join is not expecting a lot of work they might not want to take new people till things pick up, you have to ask someone at the union hall only they would know if/when they are giving tests, and what the qualifications are. I don't know anything about private operating schools I don't think school alone without some field experience would be enough.