• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is It Possible To Prevent Lawn Damage???

Dougster

I am still "new" to the world of rubber-tracked mini-excavators. My paying work in the past has mostly been performed with my 41 HP Mahindra tractor with its R4 tires and its FEL, backhoe, 3-point implements, etc. While I used to tear up lawns a little doing really tough jobs, my new (to me) Yanmar VIO35-3 mini-excavator has a nasty habit of tearing up lawns just about anywhere it goes.

Even when I endeavor to keep the tracks moving as uniformly as possible as much as possible... I still end up with some pretty serious and ugly lawn damage... ruts and ripped up turf. It has gone so far that I've decided to leave the mini-ex home for this week's digging job and do it all with the tractor's backhoe because I'll need to cross the client's lawn (including some tight turns) to get to the several backyard work locations.

Am I missing something here? Was I expecting too much for a 3.5 ton mini-ex to be reasonably kind to turf? Are there tricks or things to watch out for in order to to minimize lawn damage? Does anyone sell tracks that are kinder to lawns? Or would that defeat the usefulness of having a mini-ex of this weight and size in the first place? :confused: Help!!! :eek:

Dougster™ :usa

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
There's always going to be some damage. I'm not really up on min-ex's but usually the same rules apply. If ya can get his attention (always searching for another pink hardhat :p :rolleyes: ) our famous thread hijacker/moderator Squizzy should have some good info for you. On a more even keel it sounds like you're doing the right things, might possibly be the type of tracks you have. Good luck.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
When it's wet, we put plywood down on grass, to keep from damaging lawns. It especially helps when turning.
My thoughts too but felt it was to simple to mention. A little extra work but a saves the fill in later.

Dougster

There's always going to be some damage. I'm not really up on min-ex's but usually the same rules apply. If ya can get his attention (always searching for another pink hardhat :p :rolleyes: ) our famous thread hijacker/moderator Squizzy should have some good info for you. On a more even keel it sounds like you're doing the right things, might possibly be the type of tracks you have. Good luck.
Squizzy is Da Man! He has already helped me! :D And yes, it appears that the aftermarket tracks on my mini-ex may be more aggressive and higher surface contact pressure than stock. I don't think they are helping me at all.
When it's wet, we put plywood down on grass, to keep from damaging lawns. It especially helps when turning.
My thoughts too but felt it was to simple to mention. A little extra work but a saves the fill in later.
Don't assume I know anything guys! ;) I've never had to throw down anything before this. But as a one man show, hauling in a bunch of plywood is going to cost me both time and money. May I ask, for a typical residential job (i.e., a job where you must protect the lawn), how much plywood are we talking about here and what thickness do you normally use? :confused: Thanks! :drinkup

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
Squizzy is Da Man! He has already helped me! :D And yes, it appears that the aftermarket tracks on my mini-ex may be more aggressive and higher surface contact pressure than stock. I don't think they are helping me at all.

Don't assume I know anything guys! ;) I've never had to throw down anything before this. But as a one man show, hauling in a bunch of plywood is going to cost me both time and money. May I ask, for a typical residential job (i.e., a job where you must protect the lawn), how much plywood are we talking about here and what thickness do you normally use? :confused: Thanks! :drinkup

I used to keep tires on our trailer when we moved our D-5. We had to cross roads and public ground and didn't need to mess things up.
I would agree ply wood can be costly and aweward to move but a several pieces of 3/4 inch can be a good thing. Maybe it is the treads on your tracks that is the issue?

Dougster

I used to keep tires on our trailer when we moved our D-5. We had to cross roads and public ground and didn't need to mess things up.
I would agree ply wood can be costly and aweward to move but a several pieces of 3/4 inch can be a good thing. Maybe it is the treads on your tracks that is the issue?
I guess the point is that you keep jumping off the beast and moving the plywood forward, yes? So maybe you only need 6 to 8 sheets? Still a royal pain in the butt for an old man like me. :( And yes, I'll have to look into the possibility of getting some lower impact tracks since most of what I do is residential work.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Dougster, anytime you turn on the spot you will tear up lawn in almost any excavator. I drive straight or in big radius where I can and turn on 3/4" formply (the smooth sided stuff grano workers use to make formwork). I have 3 sheets cut in half length ways and I use it for concrete, the skid steer and the mini-ex. Formply is tough and last ages if you just look after it a bit.

At a trade show once I saw some special rubber mats specifically designed for compact machines......it was horrifically expensive and very heavy. I have seen guys using conveyor belting.

It is sometimes possible to jump turn a little without too much damage...if you know your machine https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4892

A wheeled machine will "generally" do less damage if its not soft. When its soft you will leave trenches and tracks are better.

You should state, in writing, to the owner before the job starts the measures you will take to reduce lawn damage but that some damage is ineviatable. Make a plan to reduce trips and turns. Keeping the machine well balanced will also help....don't have the stick out over the side while turning. I put the blade down on a piece of plywood or lumber to keep the machine steady when digging.

The only dedicated turf tracks I know of are from ASV for their posi-tracks machines http://www.asvi.com/rc60_turf.cfm

Hope that helps

Dougster

Dougster, anytime you turn on the spot you will tear up lawn in almost any excavator. I drive straight or in big radius where I can and turn on 3/4" formply (the smooth sided stuff grano workers use to make formwork). I have 3 sheets cut in half length ways and I use it for concrete, the skid steer and the mini-ex. Formply is tough and last ages if you just look after it a bit.

At a trade show once I saw some special rubber mats specifically designed for compact machines......it was horrifically expensive and very heavy. I have seen guys using conveyor belting.

It is sometimes possible to jump turn a little without too much damage...if you know your machine https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4892

A wheeled machine will "generally" do less damage if its not soft. When its soft you will leave trenches and tracks are better.

You should state, in writing, to the owner before the job starts the measures you will take to reduce lawn damage but that some damage is ineviatable. Make a plan to reduce trips and turns. Keeping the machine well balanced will also help....don't have the stick out over the side while turning. I put the blade down on a piece of plywood or lumber to keep the machine steady when digging.

The only dedicated turf tracks I know of are from ASV for their posi-tracks machines http://www.asvi.com/rc60_turf.cfm

Hope that helps
It sure does! :) Great advice Squizzy! Excellent links too! I'll say it again: You are "Da Man"!!! :notworthy

I'll look for that Formply stuff. I know exactly what you are talking about... but I sure don't know where to buy it in sheets. :beatsme But I'll find it!!! :D

Never heard of jump turning. Guess I better research it ASAP and learn! :drinkup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
It sure does! :) Great advice Squizzy! Excellent links too! I'll say it again: You are "Da Man"!!! :notworthy

I'll look for that Formply stuff. I know exactly what you are talking about... but I sure don't know where to buy it in sheets. :beatsme But I'll find it!!! :D

Never heard of jump turning. Guess I better research it ASAP and learn! :drinkup

If you ask formworkers/concrete workers they often discard their ply and stuff when it becomes damaged or the bond breaker was not good. Doesn't matter what it looks like....it just impresses the client when you go that extra yard to do the right thing.

Dougster

If you ask formworkers/concrete workers they often discard their ply and stuff when it becomes damaged or the bond breaker was not good. Doesn't matter what it looks like....it just impresses the client when you go that extra yard to do the right thing.
I hear you loud and clear Squizzy!!! :) I'll keep an eye out! :cool:

Nick Abeyta

I am still "new" to the world of rubber-tracked mini-excavators. My paying work in the past has mostly been performed with my 41 HP Mahindra tractor with its R4 tires and its FEL, backhoe, 3-point implements, etc. While I used to tear up lawns a little doing really tough jobs, my new (to me) Yanmar VIO35-3 mini-excavator has a nasty habit of tearing up lawns just about anywhere it goes.

Even when I endeavor to keep the tracks moving as uniformly as possible as much as possible... I still end up with some pretty serious and ugly lawn damage... ruts and ripped up turf. It has gone so far that I've decided to leave the mini-ex home for this week's digging job and do it all with the tractor's backhoe because I'll need to cross the client's lawn (including some tight turns) to get to the several backyard work locations.

Am I missing something here? Was I expecting too much for a 3.5 ton mini-ex to be reasonably kind to turf? Are there tricks or things to watch out for in order to to minimize lawn damage? Does anyone sell tracks that are kinder to lawns? Or would that defeat the usefulness of having a mini-ex of this weight and size in the first place? :confused: Help!!! :eek:

I'll check the specs. on this model and see if our pads can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

I have found 1/2" and 3/4" Formply at Home Depot before, although all of them do not carry it. If HD does not have any, try a construction supply house or a good lumber yeard. I think it was around $30 per sheet last time I bought some, but that was months ago.

Like was mentioned before, cut it in 2'X8' strips and flip-flop them as you are traveling. 4 sheets would give you 32LF of mats.

It is a PITA, but beats having to re-sod a lawn.

Dougster

I'll check the specs. on this model and see if our pads can help.
Hi Nick - I looked at your catalog and I don't see anything that might help my particular problem. Sounds like I need these boards or maybe a whole different kind of "turf friendly" track :beatsme

Dougster

I have found 1/2" and 3/4" Formply at Home Depot before, although all of them do not carry it. If HD does not have any, try a construction supply house or a good lumber yeard. I think it was around $30 per sheet last time I bought some, but that was months ago.

Like was mentioned before, cut it in 2'X8' strips and flip-flop them as you are traveling. 4 sheets would give you 32LF of mats.

It is a PITA, but beats having to re-sod a lawn.
I don't think I've ever seen them in our Massachusetts HD stores. But I do have a few other places I can check. Unfortunately, the nearest place that's likely to have them also happens to be known for its sky high prices!!! :(

jimmyjack

what i've done with the plywood is carryed 3 or 4 pieces under the machine on the trailer than at the job lay them out were the turns are than run the machine over to the spot were i was working, just makes easyer than making a plywood road to the spot, than i would use the plywood to put the dirt on makes clean up easyer

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
If you wanted to get really fancy, and use the plywood alot, why not install a hook in the middle of the sheet? Then you can drop a sheet in front of you, track onto it. Then swing around, grab the rear sheet with the bucket, swing around and place it in front of you. You'd never have to get out of the machine and could get away with 2-3 sheets.

We use "swamp mats" with big hoe's to keep them from sinking out of sight on some jobs. Not the exact setup you would use, but you may get the idea?

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/nyfo/hot/images/bricklarge.jpg