• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

is a quad really worth the extra money

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Its interesting to see the methods used to acomplish the same task in other parts of the world. Even go 1 province west into BC and most of the dump trucks have a rock guard over the cab. In Alberta you typically just see a dump box with no raised front bulkhead and no roof guard.

colson04

This is a typical KW tri-axle set up for my area. If I am hiring tri's out at $90 per hour some variant of this truck is what I expect to show up at the job.

https://www.truckworx.com/inventory/specsheet_truckworx/?ID=16029033

Only $90/hr for a tri-axle? Hmm. Maybe thats normal, I haven't priced out someone else trucking material since I bought my own truck.

My wife's cousin is getting $70/hr for a 6 yard, single axle truck right now and is swamped with work. He is looking at upgrading to a tri-axle, but is pretty happy with the money he is making so far with what he has.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Only $90/hr for a tri-axle? Hmm. Maybe thats normal, I haven't priced out someone else trucking material since I bought my own truck.

My wife's cousin is getting $70/hr for a 6 yard, single axle truck right now and is swamped with work. He is looking at upgrading to a tri-axle, but is pretty happy with the money he is making so far with what he has.
I get about 100 an hour for mine

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Rates, wages and profit margins all depend on on where you live and what your costs of doing business are which vary wildly. A lower rate in one region of the country may be more profitable at the end of the day than a higher rate in another region.

I can get tri's for $85 but most dump truck companies are going to $90 which I can't argue with. I'm bidding jobs using the $90 per hr rate.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Its interesting to see the methods used to acomplish the same task in other parts of the world. Even go 1 province west into BC and most of the dump trucks have a rock guard over the cab. In Alberta you typically just see a dump box with no raised front bulkhead and no roof guard.

I've always wondered about the no cab guards on some Canadian dump trucks, just thought it looked strange to me as all our dumps have at least a 1/4 to 1/2 cab guard on dump beds. With some of the operators around here those drivers need one..:rolleyes::D

nice and shinny hows your tandem holding up

Thanks for asking catwelder, she has earned it's keep and paid for herself. We've been using it move the smaller equipment and on-site hauling. It's currently on a project that has around 3K yards to move onsite.

YFbFATZRQbCO9WS307mH1w.jpg

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I've always wondered about the no cab guards on some Canadian dump trucks, just thought it looked strange to me as all our dumps have at least a 1/4 to 1/2 cab guard on dump beds. With some of the operators around here those drivers need one..:rolleyes::D

Thanks for asking catwelder, she has earned it's keep and paid for herself. We've been using it move the smaller equipment and on-site hauling. It's currently on a project that has around 3K yards to move onsite.

View attachment 214864
lovely truck though glad its paying for its self. you ever gonna do contract hauling jobs with it ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
lovely truck though glad its paying for its self. you ever gonna do contract hauling jobs with it ?

Thanks CW. We'll keep her around for our own on-site dirt hauling. Since it only has a L10 Cummins, 4sp auto and heavy rears makes it a fantastic site truck but not so good on the road truck - IE slow as molasses in Janurary.:rolleyes:

I really don't have any interest in getting into the dump truck business for hire. In the future I may have a few dump trucks but they'll be for our own job use.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Thanks CW. We'll keep her around for our own on-site dirt hauling. Since it only has a L10 Cummins, 4sp auto and heavy rears makes it a fantastic site truck but not so good on the road truck - IE slow as molasses in Janurary.:rolleyes:

I really don't have any interest in getting into the dump truck business for hire. In the future I may have a few dump trucks but they'll be for our own job use.
ahhhh well least it useful and still a pretty truck you got it from the DOT dint you ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
It was from a small city in North Alabama. They bought the truck from a city in Georgia.

The truck was an original municipal spec with auto trans, heavy suspension, tractor package and underpowered L10.:D

catwelder

Occupation
welder
It was from a small city in North Alabama. They bought the truck from a city in Georgia.

The truck was an original municipal spec with auto trans, heavy suspension, tractor package and underpowered L10.:D
if my local dint use and abuse the hell out of our local trucks the macks they gonna trade soon be a good deal but i know what they put them through

catwelder

Occupation
welder
anyone got any experience with the older volvo trucks (1997) went and looked at a few trucks today and it stood out to me was a clean truck got a d12 Detroit in it