• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IR T30 Compressor?

widfox65

I am looking for information on a IR T30 5 horsepower compressor. My neighbor who was skilled in many areas, has this IR T30 compressor. He has since passed away. I am helping the widow to liquidate some of the deceased husband's assets. My question is, I see no relief valve on this machinery. Should it not have one? I did plug the compressor into a receptacle and the compressor runs fine. I did not leave it run any longer after it reached 160 psi. I do not know what the hi and lo limits are set for. This compressor was not currently in use. So, I guess my concern is about safety, operating the compressor. Any thoughts? thanks

Delmer

T30 is the line of compressor, they come in different sizes and configurations, and that's just the compressor head. Is this a commercially made vertical tank compressor, or some other kind of machinery? Any compressor with a tank should have a relief valve.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The compressor should be equipped with a pressure switch, just like you would see on a shallow well water pump to shut it down when it reached the set pressure. Most common pressure would be 120psi. Also the tank should have a blow off valve that is set a bit higher than the pressure switch, say 140 psi. There are many many different sizes and versions of the T30. Should be a tag on the side cover opposite the end of the crank shaft the drive pulley is on. Post a couple pictures and we can probably give some more information.

widfox65

I also thought it should have a relief valve. It is a horizontal storage tank. I will add some pictures of the compressor tomorrow. Thanks

mitch504

If it is a 2-stage T30 (I own one) the pressure switch should cut it off at 175 psi, and the relief valve should open at 200 psi, only if the pressure switch malfunctions.

On edit: I looked at IR's website, and all the T30s listed are 2-stage, with the pressures I mentioned above.

Last edited:

widfox65

IR T30 Compressor

Thanks Mitch504 and all.
First off, if this is not in the correct forum, please let me know. Still trying to find my way in hear.
Here is what I have, see the pictures.

IMG_6367.JPG

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_6394.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

What type of air cleaner element is used for this compressor? Currently has none.
Picture of plug at C-5 stamped on metal, is that where a safety relief valve should be?
thanks

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
What appears to be a brass pipe pug in the last picture is where one safety valve should be. It should be rated at approx. 60 PSI. This is for the intercooler. This is not the one for the air tank. There should also be one on the tank that is set for somewhat higher pressure than the unit is designed to run. Looks like the MAX pressure the tank is rated for is 200PSI.

widfox65

Thanks kshansen, I saw a picture of a similar compressor on the net that appeared to have a safety valve in that position you have mentioned. Is there another location where a safety valve needs to be located? As I stated earlier in this thread, I had the pressure up to 160 psi, until I pulled the plug. The info on the data plate of the pressure says cut in at 80 psi and cutout at 100 psi. As mentioned it ran up to 160 psi and still operating. Is the pressure switch adjustable for the low and high cutout?

IMG_6382.JPG

IMG_6384.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

Thanks

Delmer

Big nut is pressure, tighten for more pressure. Little nut is the differential, don't mess with it for now. The 80-100 is just what the switch was set at when new, it looks like it's been cranked down to me, it could be set for 175 and be functioning fine, but you're wise to exercise a little caution with a 70 year old tank. The relief valve should probably go into the same tee that the pressure switch is tied into, just not after that shut off valve!

widfox65

Delmar
Just so I understand correctly, the hex nut in the last picture and on left side in the above picture is for the high cutout? Any specs. as to where the nut should be positioned to be backed off to approximately 150 psi?
Could the new safety relief valve be installed in either of the two locations shown in this picture below?

IMG_6378.JPG

What do I look for in this new valve, a 175 psi max. rating?
Would you have a name of a supplier for this type of valve?
thanks

Delmer

Yes, the big nut. I'd run the compressor until it reaches the pressure you want, then shut if off, UNPLUG IT, and back that nut off until you hear it click. I'd use the top hole for the relief valve. What's that green thingy in the bottom of the pic?

You might find a relief valve at a hardware store/building center, or you could order one online and maybe get the filters from the same place. Search air compressor parts to start, I can't recommend one over another.

kshansen

Occupation
:(
Yes, the big nut. I'd run the compressor until it reaches the pressure you want, then shut if off, UNPLUG IT, and back that nut off until you hear it click. I'd use the top hole for the relief valve. What's that green thingy in the bottom of the pic?

You might find a relief valve at a hardware store/building center, or you could order one online and maybe get the filters from the same place. Search air compressor parts to start, I can't recommend one over another.
Here's a link to a Graingers site that list all kinds of the safety relief valves:

http://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=safety+valve

Maybe someone else can give some hints on which one would be best for your application, I'm too tired from fighting this snow storm tonight:(

widfox65

Okay, I will back off the adjustment to about 125 psi for now.
That is correct, a drain ball valve on the bottom of tank.

Drain valve.JPG

I will research for a supplier locally for a safety valve for this compressor. I will carry a picture of the air cleaner elbow for identification, perhaps.
Thanks

widfox65

Thanks for the link, a lot of choices. Can someone recommend a suitable safety valve?
What snow storm? Heavy rain here, not snow.:D

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
They made all sorts of T30s in all sorts of configurations. I picked up a 3 phase, 60 gallon, WATER COOLED, continous run T30 in January. It had no unloader and was plumbed to run off a water line. I have yet to see another water cooled one in person.

Attachments

• 2014-01-13_21.24.29.jpg
    2014-01-13_21.24.29.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 141

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Your tank appears to manufactured in 1944. Might want to make sure its not rusting out internally, they can explode otherwise. The T30 debuted in the 1920s IIRC.

widfox65

Does your water-cooled air compressor have its own water pump/circulator? Does your compressor have any safety valves? Where are the safety valves located? How can one tell if the tank is rusting from the inside? Your compressor sure looks like a heavy duty cycle unit. Thanks for sharing.

kshansen

Occupation
They made all sorts of T30s in all sorts of configurations. I picked up a 3 phase, 60 gallon, WATER COOLED, continous run T30 in January. It had no unloader and was plumbed to run off a water line. I have yet to see another water cooled one in person.

That's a new one on me did not know they had water cooled versions.