• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Interstate Gooseneck Trailer

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Unlike trailer where can wide stagger
Used drill and cordless driver to set all the screws on the grain bed floor
Believe at least a dozen per board
Used 3/8 Torx deck screws

Vetech63

Nice project but I saw an issue throughout the process. Not at any point did I see those kids jumping around on the material........playing hide and seek around that trailer......dragging scrap material around to build a fort........ throw sawdust at eachother.........grab hand tools........I mean, if I did a project around here like that, my youngest grandkids would have sidewalk chalked it so bad it would look like a parade float!

colson04

Nice project but I saw an issue throughout the process. Not at any point did I see those kids jumping around on the material........playing hide and seek around that trailer......dragging scrap material around to build a fort........ throw sawdust at eachother.........grab hand tools........I mean, if I did a project around here like that, my youngest grandkids would have sidewalk chalked it so bad it would look like a parade float!

They didn't dig the chalk out, but they were on it, under it, over it, etc the entire time. Those two don't slow down:D. They tested every tool I would let them and drug off every scrap piece I made.

suladas

On one of my trailer instead of self tappers, they used nuts and bolts with really big washers to catch the crossmembers. Seems like a good idea, no holes in crossmembers to rust, no hassles drilling through them.

colson04

On one of my trailer instead of self tappers, they used nuts and bolts with really big washers to catch the crossmembers. Seems like a good idea, no holes in crossmembers to rust, no hassles drilling through them.

Like this?Screenshot_20200901-112928.png

I saw this yesterday on a trailer that went through the auction, 1998 Eager Beaver tag

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So long as the boards cannot slip would work fine, only other problem is corrosive effect of acidic wood on steel of fasteners and road detritus that could affect integrity faster than a hard bolted into cross members. Those 17.5 Daytons?

colson04

So long as the boards cannot slip would work fine, only other problem is corrosive effect of acidic wood on steel of fasteners and road detritus that could affect integrity faster than a hard bolted into cross members. Those 17.5 Daytons?

Im not sure of tire size. Trailer had a fair amount of rust holes through cross members and other areas and it got bid up fairly high for overall condition. I thought they could have bought a nicer trailer for less through a private sale. That eager beaver brought $3500

suladas

Yep mine is exactly like that.

Auctions prices are so fickle. I think in a lot of cases when you see something go crazy high it's someone who really wanted/needed a certain item and it's best to avoid overpaying.

suladas

Yea that is true. I am pretty sure my 2012 is still factory decking, I haven't seen any fasteners broken off, and only a few boards have come loose. I do know it would be a PIA to ever replace the decking cutting out all the fasteners though.

colson04

Yea that is true. I am pretty sure my 2012 is still factory decking, I haven't seen any fasteners broken off, and only a few boards have come loose. I do know it would be a PIA to ever replace the decking cutting out all the fasteners though.

Cut the boards between the crossmembers with a skil saw and lift them up. That's what I did. Stuff comes apart really fast that way. I would bet most of your fasteners come right off with the boards since they aren't screwed to the crossnembers.

suladas

Cut the boards between the crossmembers with a skil saw and lift them up. That's what I did. Stuff comes apart really fast that way. I would bet most of your fasteners come right off with the boards since they aren't screwed to the crossnembers.

Yea that would work, but trailer is about 34'x9.5' of deck so there is a ton of boards. I'm happy to patch it up every year. Funny enough the first year I got it inspected they made a big deal about any holes, went somewhere else after and they no longer care.

Old Doug

Im not sure of tire size. Trailer had a fair amount of rust holes through cross members and other areas and it got bid up fairly high for overall condition. I thought they could have bought a nicer trailer for less through a private sale. That eager beaver brought $3500
That seems cheap from what i have looked at.