• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Interstate Gooseneck Trailer

colson04

I finally found something better to haul the skid steer and attachments with. Almost new tires, new brakes, bearings just re-packed, no rust issues.
20200815_114541.jpg
I knew it needed a couple deck boards, but thought it could be a fall/winter project. First time I went to load up, BAM! right through the beaver tail on the left side.
20200815_114548.jpg
Trailer had a treated pine deck, I presume original. I happened to have a couple of 6/4 white oak boards out in the barn so I zipped home and replaced all the boards on the beaver tail.
20200815_125550.jpg
So, since I have my tools out, I decide to replace a couple of the worst looking boards. Of course, the inspectors had to investigate everything.
20200815_140016.jpg
3 hours later I've got all the boards off, cleaned up the tops of the cross members and spraying primer on them when my wife comes out and asks me why I'm not ready to go to her cousins wedding...:oops:

colson04

20200815_154600.jpg
I couldn't find any treated 16 ft boards in stock, so I called a local saw mill and asked how soon they could cut some 6/4 white oak. Had all I needed by the end of the week.
20200825_082952.jpg
Decided I may as well finish priming and painting the tops of the cross members. They had a light bit of rusting where the old decking rubbed the paint off. TSC equipment paint it is.
20200825_083000.jpg 20200827_085236.jpg
Paint is done, I should be putting new decking on this weekend, after another wedding is done

Maybe this fall I can find some time to touch up the rest of the paint. She isn't a 10, but there isn't anything super serious going on underneath.

What do you guys treat your white oak decking with? These boards are awefully wet today, but I would like to treat it with something before winter sets in.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
When I got rid of my dual wheel trucks I converted to a gooseneck vs. pintle hitch, on the F350 single rear wheel it makes for much more stable travel. Mine is a deck over. The rear lighting is interesting, I've never seen rectangular lights mounted vertically before.

Good luck with it!!

Jonas302

Nice looking trailer
I won't put anything on oak boards drain they work just great dry and not slippery with oil it will still get twice the life of treated pine

Old Doug

My buddy had one just like it i used it some it was well built you could tell you were pulling something. I had a 68 GMC 3/4 350 another friend pulled it one day that had a Dodge Cummins we were talking and i about said something about how my pickup pulled it but i didnt want to down grade my pickup he then said to me that thing pulls hard.

colson04

Got the decking placed on the trailer and then broke every 3/16" drill bit I had. Self drilling screws are a B.S. marketing gimmick. I gave up trying to 'self-drill' the screws and drilled every hole.
20200831_073903.jpg
Pulled out the old handy jack to tighten up the gaps. Also ended up buying some longer screws. 2 1/2" weren't long enough if the board had any bow to it at the crossmember.
20200831_073803.jpg
20200831_100810.jpg
20200831_100830.jpg

Done and ready to haul.

colson04

I did find some mold growth on these boards after sitting for a couple days in my yard. I cut them to length and stacked them up Thursday morning. Three days later, I started laying them out on the trailer and found a fair amount of mold growth.

Should I just let it go and hope the sun kills it off, or should I spray it down with bleach or deck wash to kill the mold/mildew?

BigWrench55

20200815_140016-jpg.223399

3 hours later I've got all the boards off, cleaned up the tops of the cross members and spraying primer on them when my wife comes out and asks me why I'm not ready to go to her cousins wedding...:oops:

If you are anything like me then you were ready for the wedding long before your wife. And while waiting for your wife to get ready. You went out in your tuxedo and decided to finish a project.:D

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So long as not in ground contact may see a little mildew but should not see mold. When mildew appears to be taking over I make a batch of Lysol floor cleaner slop mop it on and leave dry.

Jonas302

Looks very nice
I gave up on those screws also you definalty have to predrill and then they are so brittle that they want to break off as the boards dry now I only use carriage bolts hunk of steel big enough to stand on and magdrill to punch the holes

colson04

Looks very nice
I gave up on those screws also you definalty have to predrill and then they are so brittle that they want to break off as the boards dry now I only use carriage bolts hunk of steel big enough to stand on and magdrill to punch the holes

I'll keep that in mind if I ever do this again. Hopefully these screws will outlast the decking.

crane operator

I also use old oil on the oak. It can be slick for the first little while till it quits beading up water on top. I just take a 5 gal. bucket and slop some on and mop it around with a rag.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Do not like used oil on wood, seems to make rot quicker where could be the acids in the waste oil.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've never had much luck with the self tapping screws either, like Jonas said a high percentage snapped while tightening. I went the carriage bolt route too. A bit of a pain in the ass crawling under the trailer but once it was done it was done.

Job looks great!!

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Self tapping screws with a "SLOW" drill motor works beautiful. Redone a whole 40' shipping container floor with them no problem.
Nice trailer BTW, the one I got needs a new deck too though due to Covid-19 prices have gone way up on lumber. Going to mill my own from the trees around my property for mine.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
When I decked my Bobcat trailer, I was laying out hole locations and screwing, a friend was drilling.....thought my old Milwaukee drill motor was gonna go Chernobyl on us. Got so damn hot Al had to wear gloves.

Not a fun job.

Ed