• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International Harvester 500C /Good or bad?

dillon45

Thanks td25 makes good sense but these things can be intimidating to the weekend mechanic, not to mention the needed tools for some of the work.

td14steve

Just read through this all good advice. The only thing I can add is if it is old and has tracks get used to wrenching . Any of the old crawlers will work but you are guaranteed to start dumping money in them one way or another there is no free ride. You either pay a lot up front for a good runner or slowly dump the money and time in an old machine with all the joys of wrenching. Not trying to sound discouraging but that is how it goes around old iron, Good luck and have fun Steve

Tinkerer

Interesting, running a 450 b and owning and maintaining one is a vast difference, what is your opinion about the steering clutch brake on the 450 b and the great expense, mostly labor in replacing them?
td25c said it best in post #20
Yes, there is a world of difference between running someone else's machine and having ownership of it and all the expenses that come with owning one. In regards to doing repairs on any old iron, I think it comes down to the situation the owner is in. If you need the machine for everyday use, an old machine breaking down or just needing worn out parts replaced is just not acceptable. In my situation I have the time to park my old T/L/B and repair whatever it needs. I don't mind sinking a lot of money in because I bought it at a reasonable price. I have invested more money in it than what I paid for it. But I do it with no regrets, because right now I own a machine that is over 30 years old and is in better condition than a lot of machines I have run that are less than 10 years old.
If I had a need for that 450B dozer we all have been talking about in this thread I would buy it because I have the time and I can fix it. If I had to pay someone to do the repairs I would pass on it.

dillon45

td25c said it best in post #20
Yes, there is a world of difference between running someone else's machine and having ownership of it and all the expenses that come with owning one. In regards to doing repairs on any old iron, I think it comes down to the situation the owner is in. If you need the machine for everyday use, an old machine breaking down or just needing worn out parts replaced is just not acceptable. In my situation I have the time to park my old T/L/B and repair whatever it needs. I don't mind sinking a lot of money in because I bought it at a reasonable price. I have invested more money in it than what I paid for it. But I do it with no regrets, because right now I own a machine that is over 30 years old and is in better condition than a lot of machines I have run that are less than 10 years old.
If I had a need for that 450B dozer we all have been talking about in this thread I would buy it because I have the time and I can fix it. If I had to pay someone to do the repairs I would pass on it.

You are fortunate to be able to do your own repairs, not all have your ability. One question that needs answered. What brand machine is the easiest to work on in your opinion?

Tinkerer

You are fortunate to be able to do your own repairs, not all have your ability. One question that needs answered. What brand machine is the easiest to work on in your opinion?
I have no idea what brand of dozer is easier to work on. The company's mechanics did all the repair work. All I ever did was run them. I did run a, what we call -grease truck- for longer than I care to think about. So, I did drain and replace thousands (yes thousands) of gallons of oil in all kinds of heavy equipment.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I reckon anything with "conventional" steering and construction is the go.

That is to say, brakes and clutches that come out the top . . . and I could never see the point in pedal or lever only steering.

Nothing is much more intuitive than disconnecting drive (pull the lever) and then controlling rate of turn (foot on brake) .

It's simple and does away all that linkage and adjustment B/S. I reckon when the boffins started getting fancy with the steering was about when dozer design started to go backwards.

First foot controlled jigger I struck was a MF something. It had a six cylinder Perkins around 90HP and I battled with adjustments from the first day, horrible thing, they gave you a horizontal bar to hang on to to occupy your hands.

Cheers.

Last edited:

dillon45

[QUOTE=Scrub Puller;456
Cheers.[
What Make of dozer has that set up, where you can replace the steering brake without tearing it apart, such as J.D. ? Thanks for the reply

Last edited:

Kurly

Occupation
Retired
After reading the first few threads I was getting to think I might have to call the junk dealer or park my 500C in the front yard. As a new dozer owner I can certainly say that my dozer and my Case 580 C TLB are not interchangeable on jobs. My 500C has a 6 way blade with a Neus (German) diesel with torque converter. I bought it for $2000.00 and it runs great but will need steering clutches rebuilt. I have only used it on one job to strip top soil, and create lifts as 75 truck loads of clay were delivered. This was only prep work as the professional excavator was too busy. I think for farm or part time use it would make a handy machine. I researched the clutch replacement, they come out the top without removing the tracks or final drives. It's only a 44HP 10,00lb machine (easy to trailer) but if you are willing to do some wrenching it should be a useful small dozer. I hope I don't have to eat my words next month when I plan to pull the clutches.

dillon45

Kerry, Hey, that was some good info. you got a good deal at $2,000.00 , hope to hear from you when you pull the clutches, maybe you can post pics. as the work progresses.

Kurly

Occupation
Retired
Dillon I will keep you posted. The IH guys at Red Power, (mostly collectors using their toys rather than professional excavators trying to making a living) are a big help with the 500C and other old IH equipment. My machine sat outside for about 3 years unused. I made back the purchase price on one job and had a ball!! The most I ran it was about 4-5 hours at a time so it was not like work. I would not want to run a 500C 40-60 hours a week. The job was done using only right clutch brake. Forward turning right - reverse to go left. I'm a 58 year old just retired firefighter who loves playing in the dirt. I had a friend / Cat employee from Milwaukee who checked the undercarriage and engine and said go for it. I've got a bunch of old tractors including one with steel wheels and the dozer is a new high for me! Just looking for more opportunities to use it and learn. I realize most of you guys are professionals with years of experience and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

dillon45

kURLY, sounds like fun, and yes there are some very knowledgeable people on board. Sound to me you like collecting the old iron, fantastic hobby good luck and happy holidays/

dillon

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . dillon45. Sorry I missed your query but I think most of the the early Cat, Allis, International and Fiat small tractors had lift out from the top clutches.

I am a bit out of my depth here and stuck my bib in, could be wrong . . . I have limited wrench time on small dozers. (he grins)

Cheers

dillon45

Scrub Puller, Hey thanks for your input, always good to hear something I was unaware of. Will let everyone know how it works out when it arrives,

dillon45

Well, I received my 350 John Deere today just before dark, so i didn't have enough time to run it very long. I will run it tomorrow and give a update w/ some pics. ASAP.

dillon45

John Deere 350

[/ATTACH]DSC03309.JPGDSC03310.JPGDSC03311.JPGDSC03312.JPG

Hear is a view of the chain and sprockets. I drove it today and it seems to run ok ,not the best but will do. Appears it has a slight lower end noise but not sure, I'm going to change the
fluids and filters and run it some more.

Please NOTE: the LAST picture is not of this dozer, it's from a international.

Attachments

• 20130714_104455.jpg
    20130714_104455.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:

dillon45

I applied diesel fuel all over the chains and ran it for about an hour, i also hit the tracks w/ a sledge and then ran it some more. I believe I'm going to have to heat them and
apply some penetrating oil. I hear a product called PB blaster is one of the best for getting into the rusted areas, i have never used it before but heard some good things about it,
it's a little expensive but if it works it's worth it.
Anyone ever use this product ?

td25c

Yeah, Pb blaster is a good product. I keep a can in the truck and shop www.pbblaster.com

As far as freeing up the rails ......Fill up the fuel tank & run the heck out of the 350. Running it in standing water will also help loosen up tight tracks.