• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International 8100

jca57jd

Hey guys ive got a 1994 single axle international 8100 dump truck with a 230hp dt466 and a 6 speed manual transmition. Whats the most weight yall would say I could pull with this truck. Is 23000 possible and what would yall recomend the max being. Looking at a 23000k track loader and wanted to see if yall thought she was capable of handleing that load.

td25c

It's not so much the wieght on the truck.It's the terrain you have to haul it over.We have alot of narrow steep washboard gravel cow path roads that I move equipment on.I would use a tractor-loboy for moving the highlift.your truck will do fine ,I always like to have more truck than load on bad roads.What are most of your roads like jca57jd?

jca57jd

All the roads i drive on are paved with asphalt besides short gravel driveways that i go down to jobs every once in a while. Usualy i just pull the truck and trailer off the road and drive the equipment to the sight if its ruff driving! Thanks for posting 25c

td25c

All the roads i drive on are paved with asphalt besides short gravel driveways that i go down to jobs every once in a while. Usualy i just pull the truck and trailer off the road and drive the equipment to the sight if its ruff driving! Thanks for posting 25c

You will be ok.The truck will handle it fine.I was giving an example of poor roads.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey guys ive got a 1994 single axle international 8100 dump truck with a 230hp dt466 and a 6 speed manual transmition. Whats the most weight yall would say I could pull with this truck. Is 23000 possible and what would yall recomend the max being. Looking at a 23000k track loader and wanted to see if yall thought she was capable of handleing that load.

What part of North Carolina are you in? I agree with 25c that the truck can handle the load, with the DT466. But if your in the eastern part of NC, with it's mountain terrain, or even on flatter ground for that matter, you need to have a good brake system on your trailer to help stop the load since you have a single axle truck. ;)

jca57jd

I live in the charlotte metro area so thers a few hills but not a whole lot. However that track loader ways 23000ibs, thats not includeing the trailer weight! so i still dont know if yall would recomend it or not?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I live in the charlotte metro area so thers a few hills but not a whole lot. However that track loader ways 23000ibs, thats not includeing the trailer weight! so i still dont know if yall would recomend it or not?

Well, ideally, a tandem dump would be best. But in the Charlotte area, your truck would pull it fine. The DT466 has the power. The six speed is sufficient for the area. The truck is more than capable of handling the load. But the part that is most important on your 23,000 lb load is the trailer. We've talked about the truck, but what's the trailer like? It needs to be a sturdy trailer that can handle the load and for sure have a good braking system. ;)

jca57jd

Well i posed another thread on the trailer but sence youre located in TN you've probably heard of it before. My trailer is a 10 ton hudson brother. It has 10k dexter oil bathed axles and there built solid. However it does have electric breaks on it? My truck does have the air brake hook ups on it. The crazy part is i just bought the trailer 2 weeks ago and i havent even pulled it yet!:confused::( I bought the trailer so i didnt have to make two trips to the jobsight. My old trailer was a 6ton hudson and i currently use a cat 303.5 and bobcat t190 to do all my work! The other piece of equipment that im looking at is a hitachi zx75 so it ways out at about 18500 so i know i will be fine pulling it. Im just trying to get the piece of equipment that im going to be most proficient with and make the most money with:confused:

Komatsu 150

We pulled a 25000 lb. cat on an air brake trailer with a single axle with air brakes for years. If you're careful it's OK but not ideal like everyone is saying.
The thing is that 20000 lb. rating for your trailer usually includes the trailer weight. If it's a good trailer and able to handle the overload it has to weigh at least 5000 lbs. The trailer is maybe stout enough to handle it. The electric brakes are not going to be good enough. Don't be offended. I am not trying to preach. I just remember going through a couple of intersections when I just didn't have enough trailer brake.

Red Bank

We pulled a 25000 lb. cat on an air brake trailer with a single axle with air brakes for years. If you're careful it's OK but not ideal like everyone is saying.
The thing is that 20000 lb. rating for your trailer usually includes the trailer weight. If it's a good trailer and able to handle the overload it has to weigh at least 5000 lbs. The trailer is maybe stout enough to handle it. The electric brakes are not going to be good enough. Don't be offended. I am not trying to preach. I just remember going through a couple of intersections when I just didn't have enough trailer brake.

I have run into this with the Boss. We have a 10 ton Better Built trailer that we are restoring. The trailer plate says gross 20000lbs, trailer weight 5000lbs, so we can only haul 15000lbs. Now with having experience with Hudson trailers, we have a 20 ton and a 6 ton, I would think that as long as you stay around Charlotte you should be ok. I am not really saying it is ok to be overloaded, but our Hudsons seem to hold up to our abuse better than our other trailers. You would think a 10 ton trailer would be engineered to haul 10 tons but that is not always the case. As far as the truck goes, when I worked for a trucking company they had single axle International "city" trucks with the 466 that would pull at least if not more weight on 53' trailers all day long making deliveries. You won't be able to run the left lane on I-85 or I-77, but if you move the equipment in the mornings or in 5:00 work traffic, you can keep up:D And with the electric brakes, just drive it like you don't have brakes- very carefully. I would not let just anyone pull it if I owned it.

Red Bank

Sorry, just returned from the trailer section and checked out the trailer you have. I see that Hudson does rate their trailers the way you expect with a 10ton being a 10 ton. I just know our Better Built is not rated that way. But back to the original question here, I think the truck wil be all right.

Red Bank

Germanton, NC, 10 miles north of Winston-Salem. I lived in Charlotte in '91-'95
actually in Matthews, NC. Went through there a couple of months ago, nothing like it used to be!

jca57jd

Yeh unfortunatly its groing real fast. You live in some beutiful country now though. Hows buisness going for you uo there in the triad?

Red Bank

The company I work for is starting to pick up, all out of town work, being the mechanic I won't have to go unless they break something, as far as my dump truck business I run on the side, it is slow which is good because I trying to work on it, that is another thread. And this evening I picked up some more grouser bar to weld on my 955K tracks and try to get it in shape so I will be ready if work for it takes off.