• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International 4900 transmission

zw_4430

Occupation
Landscaper
I have a 4900 with dt466e and the transmission has 5th gear completely gone. What I'm trying to figure out is can you put something other then a spicer 6+1 transmission back in it? I have found a spicer 10 speed for a descent price and would like to put it in there for a few extra gears since I'm going to install a new one anyways. I haven't pulled mine yet but from what I have read the medium duty trucks have a 1-3/4" shaft and the heavy duty trucks have a 2". Other then that my knowledge is pretty limited on these transmissions. I have attached a picture of the data plate on my transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Ruger_556

I don't like the way a 466 drives with a 10 spd but that's just me, not a fan of the 6+1 either but I don't think a 10 spd makes them better. As to whether that transmission with work I don't know, truckshop probably knows and he'll chime in shortly I'm sure

Truck Shop

Personally I would go with a Fuller/Eaton 6613 it will have the correct bell housing and a 1 3/4 input shaft. A company I worked for some years back had 9
Corn Queens that were ten wheelers. All were spec'ed with DT 466 and 6613's and 18,000 lb steer axles with dual frames and tandem axles on walking
beam rear suspension. Those trucks had plenty of road speed and low gears for off road. Tough as hell those trucks were. just my 2 cents.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Just my 2 cents. I had an S-1950 mechanics truck with a 210HP DT466 and a 6610 roadranger that did just fine at 24K gross. Don't know the rear gears, but it would run 65mph on the highway and still did ok offroad.

Shimmy1

If you decide on a 613/6613, be aware they take some practice shifting. If you want every gear, the splits are about 300 rpm. Low range is almost unnecessary unless you are out in the rhubarb. The last two gears in low are exactly the same as the first two in intermediate. A 466 isn't a big engine, and slows down fast during a shift.