• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

insure or not insure read on

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
just wonderin . i understand the insurance laws but . remeber when you could go to work with dad and nobody said a word. when i was a fender sittin, pile sliden, grabrail holden kid i used to go with dad to work. now instead of an operator education that cost the price of an extra sandwitch and chocolate milk will probaly cost me the price of a new D8 when hes old enough. anyway my current boss let me bring my son to work and the spark and joy in his eyes was worth it. i now know what my dad hopefuly felt when i went with him. just wondern if anyone else had this experiance. last pict is duckey the dog. the only condition was i had to drive the truck because no one else ever had. it was a rental

Attachments

• 100_1225.jpg
    100_1225.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_1216.jpg
    100_1216.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_1223.jpg
    100_1223.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_1227.jpg
    100_1227.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 286

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
That's awesome, glad you had an opportunity to pass some joy along to your son. I remember myself as a kid, I grew up in a small town, most of the contractors knew who I was. My 10 speed got quite a few miles on it, I used to ride to sites that were relatively close and watch. I ran a 200 at the age of 11, I was hooked. The same guy that let me run that machine threw me in a couple more of his machines over the next couple years.

A couple years back, I was doing some orchard removal. It was a huge job, sometimes we would (I should say I would) work until way late at night. Of course, my dad would punk out and shut his machine down at about 8PM and call it a day, I worked weekends only for about 6 weeks while attending college during the week. I remember one Friday night my dad called me and said he was headed out to the site, a good 15 minute drive from town. He must've been out to dinner with the rest of the fam, but my youngest sister was with him when he showed up. She was 11 at the time, so we let her have a go on our 312. She dinked around a little, then I got up in the machine and had her put her hands on top of mine on the joysticks and see if she could keep up with the movements. My sister isn't much of a tomboy at all, but her and I are definately more alike than my other sister and myself. It was cool to see how someone who doesn't have an extreme interest in equipment have a somewhat excited reaction.

I like to share what I do with others, I have a lot of pride in what I do and feel like if I have the chance to promote the industry, I will. I guess since I'm young and still have the high school and college education system fresh in my mind, not a day goes by that I don't think about how screwed up society is getting to be. I think it's BS how the industry is percieved like we're all just "lever pullers", I'd like to think that running iron is a fairly respectable profession. Aside from running the machine productively and safely, which 90% of people who don't do this for a living probably couldn't do, there's a little more than meets the eye. I guess I feel like it's an obligation of mine to promote the industry whenever possible and if that means giving a kid a ride in my machine, by all means. I know how much that has meant to me in regards to how far I've progressed at a young age, I suppose if I hadn't had an interest at such a young age, who knows what I'd be doing now.

BTW, you should find your son a jr. sized hardhat, wouldn't that be rad?!

Last edited:

xkv8r

That brings back a lot of memories. The times I spent with my Dad were priceless and the experience I got at such a young age. I will never forget. You have to be a proud papa.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
just wonderin . i understand the insurance laws but . remeber when you could go to work with dad and nobody said a word. when i was a fender sittin, pile sliden, grabrail holden kid i used to go with dad to work. now instead of an operator education that cost the price of an extra sandwitch and chocolate milk will probaly cost me the price of a new D8 when hes old enough. anyway my current boss let me bring my son to work and the spark and joy in his eyes was worth it. i now know what my dad hopefuly felt when i went with him. just wondern if anyone else had this experiance. last pict is duckey the dog. the only condition was i had to drive the truck because no one else ever had. it was a rental

I hear ya' hoeman, nothing like the innocence of a childhood fascination with equipment - the "pure times", without all the BS associated with earning a living with yellow iron.

That's a good boss that let you bring your boy out to the jobsite. The insurance crap (and all the rest of the BS) we all have to deal with is taking away many a young man's first experience with the yellow iron.

I used to go to work with my dad every chance I could get. My old man was first a framing contractor and then over the years became a home builder and developer. In the framing years, dad would tell me when the builder he was working for would be backfilling the basement or cutting another lot out. The machine used at that time was either a 955 or 941. I can remember sitting there and watching all day with amazement, knowing that some day, that is what I wanted to do.

BTW - your son is a spittin' image.:D

Best regards and hope that Santa Fe job is not driving you crazy.

N.CarolinaDozer

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I'm glad to see that some bosses understand how important it is to let a father and son bond while running heavy equipment. I know when I have a child, the company I work for will not let me bring them to work, but I will still let them experience heavy equipment up close. I'm sure your son had a great time, and thought that he has the coolest dad ever!:thumbsup

petersfamilytru

Family has to be a part of the operation... It's mandatory in my company! My family is always welcome and the families of anyone who works for us!

Attachments

• DSCN5418.jpg
    DSCN5418.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN5768.jpg
    DSCN5768.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 157

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
thats awsome i love it. no book could teach me what I learned groing up around this industry.:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa