• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Installing/Adjusting Steel Tracks

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
I just took delivery of a replacement final drive for my Bobcat 100, aka Komatsu PC30-5. Would someone be able to offer suggestions or tips on replacing the track. I'm doing this single hand, and I've dragged that track around a bit to know it's heavy and awkward to manage. It looks as though the idler has been pushed back by the former owner when he diassembled everything. Should the track go on the sprocket first? If I'm able to wrestle this thing back on, what's the procedure for creating the right tension? I read other forums that indicate the adjustments are made by the grease fitting on the idler. Sorry to sound so uninformed. This is my first machine of this type, and without any manuals (yet) I'm stumbling around asking questions and looking for help. Thanks. :confused:

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
Your intuition is correct.

You adjust the tensions with the adjuster valve. You pump grease into a cylinder. this pushed the idler against the track and thus tensions the track.

To increase the tension of the Track:
i) Remove the inspection cover on the side of the Track Frame.
ii) Ensure that the Track Adjuster Valve is tight.
iii) Attach the special grease gun connector to a grease gun and fit it onto the Track Adjuster Valve
iv) Pump grease into the valve until the drop of the Track is correct
v) Move the machine backwards and forwards a few times more and then re-check the drop. Add more grease if required.
vi) Check for any escaping grease around the tensioning unit and finally close the inspection cover when finished. Important: Ensure that the correct grease is used.

Effinay

Occupation
Your intuition is correct.

You adjust the tensions with the adjuster valve. You pump grease into a cylinder. this pushed the idler against the track and thus tensions the track.

To increase the tension of the Track:
i) Remove the inspection cover on the side of the Track Frame.
ii) Ensure that the Track Adjuster Valve is tight.
iii) Attach the special grease gun connector to a grease gun and fit it onto the Track Adjuster Valve
iv) Pump grease into the valve until the drop of the Track is correct
v) Move the machine backwards and forwards a few times more and then re-check the drop. Add more grease if required.
vi) Check for any escaping grease around the tensioning unit and finally close the inspection cover when finished. Important: Ensure that the correct grease is used.

Hi Huntoon,
Thanks for your response. I noted that the inspection cover has been opened by the former wrenchbender (three bolts removed and now MIA, and the fourth loosened) but did not know about a track adjuster valve. Nor was I aware of the need for a "special"(?) connector for my grease gun. What I have done is found a bolt (adjuster valve?) that would enable me to back off to release tension (grease under pressure I presume), or tighten and pump grease into the fitting to create tension. Seems simple enough with the exception of when I pump grease into the fitting it is coming out of a hole located in the forward facing portion of the idler fork and does not create any adjustment. It seems to me as though the adjuster valve is not closing and allowing the grease to just pump out through this hole. I looked at the other idler and there's a hole there in the same location. What type of grease should I be using? I was just pumping in the stuff I had on hand. That "sticky" red stuff. I'm going to take a couple pics before it gets to dark. Maybe that would help. Thanks again.

Huntoon

Occupation
What I have done is found a bolt (adjuster valve?) that would enable me to back off to release tension (grease under pressure I presume), or tighten and pump grease into the fitting to create tension. Seems simple enough with the exception of when I pump grease into the fitting it is coming out of a hole located in the forward facing portion of the idler fork and does not create any adjustment. It seems to me as though the adjuster valve is not closing and allowing the grease to just pump out through this hole. I looked at the other idler and there's a hole there in the same location. What type of grease should I be using? I was just pumping in the stuff I had on hand. That "sticky" red stuff. I'm going to take a couple pics before it gets to dark. Maybe that would help. Thanks again.

Yes, to release the grease, you loosen that bolt (adjuster valve). The grease should spill out a slot cut into the threads. (this is how my system works. not sure about the pc-30) I am pretty sure it is similar. To increase tension, you tighten the bolt all the way down (there should be a washer/seal) and then pump grease into the valve and thus cylinder.
Speaking generally -- I don't know for your specific track-- but for the tracks I service, Litium EP-2 or Texaco EP2 All Purpose grease is used. i think the sticky red stuff is fine.:beatsme

I am not sure exactly where you are saying the grease is spilling out when you try to increase tension. if its spilling out the cylinder, your seals may be bad. if it is spilling out near the valve/bolt, the seal washer might be bad.

Last edited:

Effinay

Occupation
Got it figured out. The adjustment valve/grease fitting are one in the same. My problem was the valve was adjusted very loosely which was allowing the grease to dump out and do nothing. Tightened it down and started pumping the stuff in and low and behold......My track started tightening! Continued until it looked like the other one and moved it back and forth just a little and it seems ok. It was dark and was working by flashlight and thought better to quit while I'm ahead. Going to change the oil in the drives in the morning and double check my work. Thanks for your help.

Huntoon

Occupation
Cool. Glad it all worked out.