• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Injector Pump question

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Hello guys,
I recently posted about trying to help a friend get a 977L up and running, and people have told him there's issues with the fuel system, I haven't had a chance to diagnose it myself yet... The machine in question's engine Serial number is 3N6755 or maybe 3N67557 (hard to tell from the picture I got if there's another digit there, but if there is it could be a 7), Arrangement number 4N7373, unfortunately I don't have a serial number for the tractor itself... I've just found a guy local to where I am who is parting out a D7G and I could get the entire injector pump assembly for a good price, but I have no idea if they could be interchanged from the D7G to the 977L, and was hoping somebody could help me out. The donor machine's Serial number is 92V8462, and the engine serial number is 3N87680, arrangement # 7N1552.
Thanks guys!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Before jumping into trying to replace the injection pump I would spend some time to see if it is needed. Simple things like make sure there is fuel in the tank. Make sure fuel valves are turned on if any. See if fuel is getting from the tank to the pump. Note, without a picture or machine s/n it is hard to be sure the fuel system you have, but if this is say an old 3306 with a scroll pump there is most likely a small strainer type filter on the bottom of the injection pump. It is held on with a wire bale and thumb screw. Make sure that is nice and clean. If fuel tank is above the engine when that filter is removed you should have fuel flowing from the tank. If it is that type injection system it will have a small gear type pump mounted to the side of the injection pump, possibly with the hour meter mounted on it this is often called a "lift pump". Next simple thing would be to replace and or clean the fuel filter. Also there most likely will be a small hand priming pump, some times they can be bad and cause problems.

Once you have done those things I might just take the fuel lines off the top of the injection pump that go to the injectors and try cranking it over some and see if you are getting fuel out, make sure it is not int he shut down position on the governor control.

Maybe someone else has some different and better ideas, it's been over a year since I touched one of those engines but they are pretty basic and easy to figure out with a little simple testing.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to pass on the D7 pump because it had been left sitting outside with all the lines off and had gobs of rust in all the ports, that and with Nige's help determined it would be quite an operation to set it up for the 977 as well... I'm also hoping it's something simple, when I get around to working on the machine I will try all the things you suggest, and will post pictures for sure!