• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ingersoll DD-12 parking brake locking up?

Bhur7307

anybody have any idea why the parking brake would randomly kick on? We took the solenoid out of the drum and cleaned it up, thinking that was it. I don’t think it was. It works perfectly while using the switch, but randomly kicks in?

heymccall

Not knowing anything of that machine, common sense says that voltage is required to release the brakes. Anything that interrupts the circuit will apply the brakes.
Integrity of the wiring to the solenoid is suspect.
Condition of the solenoid coil is suspect.
Many rollers have seat or seat belt sensors, and their operation is suspect.

Bhur7307

Update: I took the pin out of the brake, and it still does it. So the parking brake isn’t being applied, but the hydraulics are getting stopped. I’m stumped

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Have you checked your fluid level? Have you checked the supply line to the pump. Is your FNR lever ok? There are usually ball switches attached to the FNR , as it wears the switches no longer close contact like they should. Being a DD12 you should just have a cable from your FNR lever down to the pump controller. That pretty much eliminates any and all electrical except the brake which you eliminated.
Does this "stop" happen in turns, straight line travel, throttle up, vibes on/off. What condition contributes to the problem you're having? When it happens, is the lever still in position of travel or has it migrated towards neutral. If the FNR is still in position has the pump lever come off of stroked position.
Just some stuff to look at. Good luck, let us Know what you find.

Now, I just remembered a job we had, a DD12 it needed a motor, shaft broke .Shaft was integral to motor. Travel is in parallel from pump to one drum or the other and back to pump. If one motor free spins , you loose your tractive effort. IIRC... It all came back to the driver binding the machine down to the point that the frame was almost on the drums when he tied it down.

Last edited: