• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ingersol- Rand SD-70D TF Series parts ad help

Zippo

Hello All,

I work for an international golf course construction company, as there wrench bender and they also have me go through and rebuild equipment from the ground up (well as much as possible) and I have been rebuilding an IR Roller for the past month or so and I am down to the last legs of the project and I need some parts that the idiots over at my local Volvo dealer (Volvo owns the IR construction brand now) and I was hopping that maybe yall can point me to a better dealer or even a used part dealer.

What I am looking for is 1) The safety latch that holds the hood up. Mine is a cable operated latch much like the one you would find on your car door. (pics are at the end of the post) I have gone back and forth with the dealer and they cant seem to understand that the picture I sent them does not match the parts break down they keep sending me. I have also contacted the manufacture of the latch its self and well they can make one for me but it sounds like it will cost the company an arm and a leg to do so.

latch1.jpg

Latch2.jpg

(the Latch was made by a company called Tri-mark out of New Hamton IA)

2) Also the last time I operated it, I used the vibration function and after about 30 min or so it started to feel like the vibrations were cutting in and out. (like when you go to shut the vibration off it shakes worse for a few seconds before it shuts it self off, but it does that while in operation) And I have been wondering is this normal operation? I have not ran this at a site (I fix the stuff but they wont let me play with it :D )so i dont know how this thing behaves under constant use.

Any Help in these matter would be greatly appreciated, and once this thing is back on its feet i will make a thread of the rebuild process. It looks better then factory now

Zippo

K-W

Occupation
Paver and compactor mechanic
IR only uses that set up for the first couple years they built the TF series machines...once they figured out that deal didn't work they changed to the current design. If your dealer can't find it they need to look at a older S/N machine. You could try looking at the door latch on a cab machine and see if they're the same (most likely not...but here's to hoping)! Your best bet might be to fabricate something to jam the hinge to hold it up!
Your vibration issue could be caused by the speed sensor located on the bottom of the vibe motor, or the wiring from the sensor back to the vibe controller located inside the battery box. If the signal going to the controller is out of range it supposed to default to a predetermined speed (VPN). But sometimes it will cause the vibe to surge...when it starts acting up it should throw a error code on the controller the status light will flash red with a blink code...hopefully your dealer will be able to help you out with that...I'm riding the couch with a broken leg and no access to my library of manuals!
Hope this helps!

Zippo

Thanks KW, I actually talked to the people who made the latch and they can make me one for 95 bucks but it will take two weeks, And to be honest i have no faith in my dealer. They never seem to understand what I am talking about even when I take pictures and show them. Well I deffently could fab something up, I was thinking something like what they use on them Isuzu cab overs, but the boss man don't like stuff like that because if it failed and some one got hurt it would be his ass.

I assume your talking about the three selinoid looking things that are bolted above the battery? So What your saying that if the controller is out of whack i will get a blink code inside the battery box? Or would it be on the dash board? Well I cant test it right now any ways, I need parts before i can start it and the tires are off of it and that would suck if it fell off the jack stands. You pointed me in a direction to look, because i was thinking that the vib motor might be going back, but if there are other things I can check out first then that would be awesome.

Zippo

K-W

Occupation
Just to make sure is your machine equipped with variable vpm (knob on the dash)? If so you will see on the inside wall towards the tire you will see a small box with a plug-in on the bottom it will have 3 or 4 LED's on it and will be labeled something like variable vibration controller...when a fault occurs the bottom light (I think is labeled fault) will blink red and it will be like 2 long blinks followed by 2 short blinks (just an example). The key must me in the on position to read it as soon as the key is turned off it erases all codes.
Hope this helps!

Zippo

Sorry its taken me a min to respond, been pulled off the roller and on other things, I was able to find the right latch my contacting the manufature of the latch (not a IR part thankfully) and it now hold the hood up nicely. SO just word to the wise a company called Tri Mark is the ones who made it, And they have a part number stamed on the release handle rivet, I can take a pic for clarity if need be

And no ours does not have the Variable VPM, Alls it has is a button on the 'Shift' (Direction control) handle for on/off. But now that I have actually tested it it seems to want to run faster then when i pulled it in the shop (wheel speed not vibe speed) I would say that it can reach now say 15mph on High RPM, Not sure if i want to fix that or not. But I couldn't run it long enough to test the vibe surge, that will be Monday.

The only other thing that has me beating my head is i cant get the back up alarm to work right, I tested it at the plug for the alarm at the back of the machine and i am only getting 10.6 v DC and the alternator is putting out 14.7 V DC. I went to the relay marked Alarm that was bolted to the support for the air cleaner and I am getting 10.6V DC there also. And from there I lose the wires, What supplies the power to the relay?

Thanks for any help
Zippo

K-W

Occupation
Sounds to me like the travel is in high range. There should be a switch on the right side of the dash, if memory serves me correct the switch will have 2 arrows on one side of the rocker and one arrow for low range...on that machine the only thing the switch should do is power the two two speed solenoid. I know there is a solenoid for two speed in the battery box (the 3 you mentioned earlier) one is brake, one is 2 speed and the other is the dump valve that drops servo pressure to the travel pump when the parking brake is on. There may also be a solenoid on the axle drive motor...I just can't remember for sure!

Back to the vibration...if it doesn't have variable vibe I think it should have either a high low amplitude switch...I know from experience that if your running the machine around a yard or someplace that's fairly hard packed the vibration going through the machine will make it feel like the vibration is surging. One thing one can do is run the drum up on some old truck tires and turn the vibe on that absorbs the vibration and gives you a better feel. You need a reef tach to actually measure the true vpm.

With the back up alarm I "think" that the alarm relay is for the audible alarm if you leave the ignition on. I believe the power for b/up alarm is coming right from the switch, located on the travel lever assembly...I'd check for power at the switch and work your way back to the fuse box. I've had a lot of trouble with the terminals coming loose in the fuse box causing voltage drops and an occasional fire.....!

Hope this helps....good luck!!!

Ben Witter

Zippo, The style latch you have is the old style and was discontinued many years ago. When it fails it can drop onto someone if they are underneath the hood, not a good situation. The new style is just a catch wit a T handle that engages the hinge and prevents the hood form coming down. There is a kit for this and your dealer should be able to provide it for you. Also make sure your hold hold downs latches are the rubber flip over style located near the ROPS.

As far as vibration as K-W said you really need to have the machine on a surface that will absorb the impacts and not provide improper feedback to the operator station. The machine should have a frequency control knob to the left of the steering wheel. If not look at the controllers in the battery compartment to see how may you have. Three is the most you can have(traction control, vibration control, auto-vibe/impactmeter control). Troubleshooting for each is in the back of the Ops manual.

For the B/U alarm K-W is correct, fuse #3 supplies the B/U alarm switch which in turn goes diectly to the alarm.