• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Info needed re: Caterpillar 225, 229, and 231 body dimensions

Briggs

Hey hang, lurker gone poster here.

I am currently laying out plans to custom build a few 1:50 scale models of the Caterpillar 225, 229, and 231 excavators. However, I am having a heck of a time finding any info regarding their physical dimensions. RitchieWiki and RitchieSpecs has a few details, but not enough regarding the body of the machines.

Living in SoCal, older 200 series Cats are pretty rare, so unfortunately I can't just show up at a sales yard or a site with a tape measure :laugh

By what I've seen as far as pictures, it appears the bodies of the 3 machines are the same size, aside from the raised engine cover on the 231 and 229D models. Is this the case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by both me, and the rest of the model building community as I will certainly share it with others wishing to build the same. Currently there is only a 1:50 scale 215, 235 (disguised as a 225 by Joal) and the glorious 245.

Once the building is underway, I will post my progress in the Models and Miniature sub-forum.

-Stephen

Briggs

A 231 is higher hp 225 riding on a 235 undercarriage.

Awesome, thank you for the info, it helped me look in the right direction for more data.

So, in the last week I logged in a lot of hours of research on the subject of late model 200 series excavators, and this is what I learned thus far (correct me in I'm wrong):

-The 219/D: Higher hp 215 on a slightly bigger UC with a redesigned boom that has less curve to allow for more forward reach and higher loading. (Still unsure about bucket changes)

-The 229: Aside from it having a bigger undercarriage than the 225, it is still kind of a mystery to me. Some sources show it as having the same 3208 and 3304 options as the the 225B, and others say it was strictly a 3208 unit until the D variant was introduced.

-The 231D: 200 hp 3208 225 on a narrower gauge 235 under carriage. I was only able to find pictures of the LC version online, so I'm guessing Cat didn't build many non LC models? According the Ritchiewiki the UC is the same as the 229 as far as track gauge and and width. It also boasts larger boom, stick, and bucket options.

Were some of these European market only models? That may help clear up some of my confusion.

I wish Caterpillar would release a detailed book on just their excavators. The two big Caterpillar books that are available right now cover mostly the really common stuff in all categories. Maybe some day in the future.

mitch504

If you go on ebay you can find Caterpillar performance handbooks. They have the info you want in great detail, but only for models that were current when the book was printed. It has a lot less detail on former models, but on eBay you can find ones that were from the time these machines were made. In the '80s they produced excavator only books, too. I think performance handbook #17 was near the end of the 200s if I remember right.

Briggs

If you go on ebay you can find Caterpillar performance handbooks. They have the info you want in great detail, but only for models that were current when the book was printed. It has a lot less detail on former models, but on eBay you can find ones that were from the time these machines were made. In the '80s they produced excavator only books, too. I think performance handbook #17 was near the end of the 200s if I remember right.

This is really useful information as well! I had no clue those even existed. Thank you so much, I'll be grabbing one.

Bluox

Biggs,

Most of those machines you are looking for are early logging shovels 1980's,cat redesigned machines with Young or Pierce booms.The 229 is a 235 machine.Might have better luck with your question in the foresty section.
Bob

Last edited:

ih100

Biggs,

Most of those machines you are looking for are early logging shovels 1980's,cat redesigned machines with Young or Pierce booms.The 229 is a 235 machine.Might have better luck with your question in the foresty section.
Bob

There were a few 229 excavators over here. They were a 225 top and 235 bottom, not sure about power. The boom was straight Cat. Not sure about the ones your side of the water.