• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Independent heavy equipment mechanics

Heavywrenching

Any independent/owner operator heavy equipment mechanics on here? I’m curious about what the independent life is like, what made you make the jump to independent, and what it was like starting out and establishing and getting customers. And if there’s any of you who are union or live in union territory how has that effected your business? Also feel free to show off pics of your service trucks or shop or whatever you have!
Also anyone who knows or uses an independent mechanic is welcome to voice their opinions.
Take care all

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I went indy 1/20. IDK. I did it to take advantage of a niche I saw and to stick closer to home and work less. Have more control of my time. Wu-Flu hit and that slowed me down because clients wouldn’t allow venders on-site. Things are full speed ahead and fleets are trying to catch up on deferred maintenance.

Heavywrenching

That’s awesome man. The business side of things I have really have no idea about. Seems like that’s the hardest part of getting established. That and having to do all your own invoicing and billing and stuff.

1466IH

The very first thing I would suggest is a good lawyer and a better accountant. Talk to them and have them be involved with setting up the business from the beginning. Other than that make sure you have about 6 months of income set aside because you are going to see a lot of money going out but it will be slow coming in for a while. I live in a big union area and have a good relationship with them but I am not union. They have tried getting me to join several times but for my particular situation I can not justify spending that kind of money because I would have to raise my rates so high to afford it I would run off half of my customers.

Ps make sure you are sitting down when you start pricing insurance.

muddog1975

I went independent in September 2019, it was really hesitant take the leap from and risk the possibility of not having a steady pay check. But the last two companies I had worked for were managed so bad and treated there customers wrong (imo) that i knew if they could make money being that bad, i knew i could make it beingbfair and honest with my customers, Plus i would have always regretted not trying. But I can say it was the best choice I have ever made! I bought a old 1999 F550 with a DOM1 IMT bed with 7000lbs crane and put a Quincy 30 gallon air compressor and a Lincoln welder on it. Got some business cards made, I made up some folders with my logo and a one page work experience resume along with my pricing. I started handing them out, just trying to get my foot in the door! Insurance is a pain to get and deal with. Truck insurance, general liability insurance, garage keepers policy...tax crap, invoiving program...etc. I am blessed with great customers and have so much work and currently having to turn new customers work away. After the first year, business was good and steadily growing i bought a 2020 F550 extra cab with a IMT DOM1 bed crane and compressor. I don't do any social media or any advertising. All my customers have been from word of mouth. Being a field mechanic in this industry, its about relationships and your reputation. Good news or bad....your fault or not... being honest with your customers will go a long way. That's what I believe after 29 years of experience. Everyone has had to chase money, but you will figure out witch customers are worth keeping and which ones you replace with dependable customers that pay regularly. As far as taking off when you want to....the truth is that your paying customers make your schedule....if you want to keep them. Money's good, but you earn it...every penny. I physical work from 6 to 12 hours a day, then come home take care of family responsibilities, then around 9:30pm or so it's time for paperwork, invoicing, parts look up and ordering, filing etc.... you have to chase parts and where many hats....My Dad put it this way...."it's the only job you will have to work 80 hrs to make 40hrs....but you will love it." It's not for everyone but, I don't think I could ever work for another company again. If you seriously considering going independent, I would make sure you have atleast 3 months of personal bill money and some capital for parts. Fuel, insurance, etc... it might be slow the first month or two...but starting off don't pass any job up.....big excavators to push lawnmowers, welding jobs to oil changes. Hope this helps, good luck. Let us know what you do. I will send pics of my trucks on the next post!

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Lots of tax tricks to learn. Single owner LLC is the way to go. Don’t include your spouse. Another trick is to sign up with TASC. They offer a HSA health care thing that allows me to pay my wife by paying for her out of pocket medical expenses, which then is 100% write off for me. In exchange, she does my accounts payable/receivables.

Lots of things to learn. I fired the largest fuel company in Alaska as a customer because they were taking 8 months to pay. Now, my competition can carry the bums and hope to get paid.

Heavywrenching

Sweet trucks mud dog!
Man you guys really put a good perspective on how much work it is. I’m not quite in the position to do it yet, and would like to soak up some more experience and training from the dealer, but hopefully I can make it happen sometime in the future.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I went independent in may of 2019. Started in the truck world, moved to equipment. Got a job offer to work in the oilfields of south Texas for a couple years. Moved back to Maine, went to work for a dealer. 3 years later I’d had enough politics and bs, got burned out and quit to work for a local trucking company. That lasted 8 months. Definitely wasn’t the answer. Bought a used truck and haven’t looked back. It’s good to have experience and tools before you do it but keep in mind that if you go independent within a few years you’ll be way behind on the technology. I used to spend half my week repairing regen issues and now I only do a handful of regen jobs a year. There will always be plenty of work though. Engines, hydraulics, undercarriage, transmissions, final drives, a/c, the list goes on forever. I’ve got plenty to say about being independent. What’s your background and what do you want to know?

Heavywrenching

That would be a big change from the dealer where most of the equipment we work on is newer(but not always). I like the heavy line work though, yankin engines and pumps and rebuilding axles and finals etc. The main downside I see is never truly being able to get away from work, even if I wasn’t in the truck I’d be having to do billing. As a married man it would really have to be a decision from both people. I guess I’m really just curious how your life both at work and at home have changed since you left the dealer and went independent.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
My wife and I discussed it before I made the jump. She had no interest in being my secretary which is fine because I like to do my own paperwork so I have an idea how my business is running. You are correct. Work is on my mind all the time. However I take more vacation now than I ever did. Just because you are self employed doesn’t mean you have to be a slave 24/7/365. Set semi regular hours and stick to them. I’m an early bird so I leave early and try to be home by dinner. It doesn’t always work but it never did in a dealer truck either. When I started I was looking for 40-50 billable hours a week. Im beyond that now. I’ve built up enough customers that I no longer can handle anyone new and refer them to a young guy getting started. Billing isn’t as big a deal as you may think. I use quickbooks and try to do my billing when I get home and then I pay all my bills and go over everything else Sunday morning after breakfast.

Coaldust

Occupation
My biggest headache is compliance and DOT/FMCSA. Staying current with my cargo tank facility registration and the hazmat aspect. For example, my 24hr HAZWOPER needs renewed and HM180 refresher training is due.

Vetech63

Been self-employed for almost 33 years. Not much I can add here that hasn't already been laid out. My only other suggestions would be......
1. Make sure your work is top notch for every customer big and small. If you do this, you will always have work and never have to go looking for it.
2. Keep up with your paperwork and I recommend having a CPA do your tax returns. New self-employed businesses are watched closely by the IRS and you are 10x less likely to be audited using a CPA.
3. If you have a family...........make time for them. Don't get yourself wrapped up in just making money. Its very easy to work 7 days a week for 3 years straight and find yourself divorced.
4. Don't be afraid to turn down work. You can be put in no win situations by customers and find yourself married to a problem for a long time.
5. Don't be afraid to admit your short-comings. If you don't know something, or cant get what you need for a job.........admit it to your customer. They would rather know you would be gambling with their money before you
get into something your not familiar with. They respect that tremendously.

Self employment is a great life. I've had many adventures and made lifelong friends.......even made great money over the years, but it can come with great sacrifices also.