• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In need of 12V71 Detroit Diesel mechanic

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I have a customer with a generator that has a 12V71 Natural Detroit Diesel with no oil pressure. I am not fimillar with the oiling system of this engine. I need name and number or e-mail address of a good Detroit Diesel mechanic. I understand this engine is also used in a lot of marine applications a good boat dealer might help. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. steve931.:usa

cletrac

Occupation
mechanic
Not much to it. The oli pump drives off the front end of thr crankshaft. I've seen the woodruff key in the crank sheer off and drop pressure. Or relief valve stick. Drop the pan and see if the gear spins on the crank.

Last edited by a moderator:

td25c

It uses a "geroter" type pump.It's like a gear inside of another gear.There could be a key sheered off.It drives off the the front of the crank like cletrac said.

JDOFMEMI

Steve931

I know a good Detriot Diesel mechanic who worked for me for several years and has relocated to your part of the country.
Send me a private message, and I will give you his number to call.
I tried to send you a PM, but it says you do not accept them, and I will not post anyones number.

Komatsu 150

Just throwing this out there. The minimum oil pressure specs at idle for an old Detroit are scary low by todays standards. If the pressure goes up with RPM it could just be the gauge. BTDT with a truck that showed O PSI at idle. A master gauge showed it was OK according to Detroit - a worrisome 7 lbs.