• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

importing skid steer into Aust from USA

DRMCO D600

Occupation
Chief Engineer, Teekay Shipping Australia
Hi all,
Could anybody give me some direction with regards to expences, and processes involved in importing two used skid steers into Australia from USA.
Has anyone got the name of a company who can clean and pack them into a container and organise competetive shipping etc. Basically take care of everything apart from the purchase and delivery to Port.
Thanks for any advise that can be offered.
My first new thread::D

Squiddog

good work for investigating this. heaps of companies are doing this here and im convinced they are pocketing at least 5k from each deal.
if you can pay cash for the machine, this would definately be the best way to buy machinery.
just bare in mind there is no warranty coverage once it arrives in australia.
southerntool.com.au seem to be bringing over the most gear, eg: S185 with less than 400 hours for around 40-42k.
brand new S185 with a/c and 4 in 1 bucket is $52,000aud

Lee-online

We sell our used equipment and ship it overseas. We pull all the pans and thoroughly wash it. A customs inspector shows up, inspects it and we pack it into a container and it then gets sealed up and took to the docks.

We do this to sell the equipment and I'm sure we wouldn't do it for a private sale where we wouldn't make any money.

skidsteernewbie

I know the post is pretty old, but I am currently living in North America, originally being from Australia, and wanting to also import a skid steer. Did you go thru with it? If so, how did it go, and who did you use? Was the machine able to pass quarantine okay?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
We can do it from here for you. Will take the machine(s) clean and containerize. Than ship to port. We will need information from you to arrange shipping. We can also provide freight from our facility to your port of entry. You will need a freight foreworder on your end to get into the country and through customs.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I am not an original equipment manufacturer dealer. I am both a used machine dealer as well as a broker. I can get pretty much what ever you want.

Knighta

Hi Greg,

Looking at a price list of what second hand equipment you have for sale, more a bulk purchase could this be emailed very interested

Hutch

We are trying to get into exporting some of the equipment we have for sale. We have a lot of Cat skid steers which seem to be selling well overseas. I have no idea were to start in doing this. We just got into this business and have had some luck locally and nationally. We set our prices low to make volume sales but this forign market seems to be much stronger. Would contacting some of these exporters be worth while or just a waste of time?

BigAds

Hi Greg. I'm looking to import a used skid steer from the US to Australia. I'm looking for something in the s130 / s150 size (would prefer bobcat, cat, Gehl or Mustang as these are readily available in Aus). I'm chasing a low hour unit (ideally less than 500 hours) in very good condition. I will also need the following accessories: GP bucket, Grapple bucket and a Brush cutter. I'm looking for someone to work with from the US...would you be interested? IF so, what units do you have available, and have you done this before with others from Aus? Thanks

BigAds

I did find a company that will import for approximately $5k for 1 unit...I'm chasing further information from them regarding costs if I import 2 or more.

Rory

BigAds,

Can you provide a link to that company? and what do they offer for $5k? is that cleaning packing and shipping? I would be interested to find out if there is much saving on a second hand S150 size skid steer to Aus as I am soon to be in the market for one too.

Cheers
Rory

DRMCO D600

Occupation
Chief Engineer, Teekay Shipping Australia
Effies, sorry for the delay.
I did import a 600 Hr Cat 252B skidsteer purchased online auction from iron planet. Very nice machine for 24,000 aud
Uship from Billings Montana to Washinton cost 2000 aud
Contracted Skelton Sherbourne to import machine into Australia (since gone broke)
Agreed to pay Skelton Sherbourne 2000 for pre-cleaning of machine in the USA prior to import into Aust to clear quarantine in Aust, this was done on importers advice.
On arrival in Aust Quarantine sent nasty letter saying that if i import a dirty machine again it will be exported back to origin at my cost. SkeltonSherbourne did not pursue payment of cleaning in USA as it was never done.
If you use Skelton Sherbourne for frieght to your address they will clean machine for no extra charge, but it is a "padded" freight charge and few options.

So all up cost to me to move the machine from Montana USA to Queensland AUS 12000 dollars plus 24000 purchase price. $36000 for a very nice tractor, 600 hr, A/C, 2 speed, Hyd quick release. If you have the work for the machine go for it, but be aware and take your time. Iron Planet were good for me in the many photo's they provided.

BigAds

Importing from the US

Hi, I ended up importing a CAT 226B2 skid steer (172 hrs). The unit cost $17k, and total import and cleaning costs were just over $10k. I used Freight Plus for the entire process, and must say they were very effective. They managed the pickup from "IronPlanet" auction in the US to customs clearance in Australia. Overall, the process was really easy from my side. Looking locally, it's hard to find a machine for the same money (I think I saved about $5k to $10k). The single biggest cost is the cleaning, with $2k in the US and another $1500 here. Would I do it again? Probably not! Since purchasing the machine I've been to a couple of "Ritchie Brothers" auctions here in Aus, during the 1st auction a similar machine went for $42k, and during the 2nd auction 1 went for $26k - In summary...I think I would keep visiting these types of auctions waiting for a bargain!

Cheers

Adam