• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I'm hosed...

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Pulled the battery out of the old 743 Bobcat tonite to add water (do it twice a year).
Checked the date, dang, 7 years old...I'm hosed, I touched it, It'll be dead tomorrow, when I need it.

Ed

Reactions: JPV

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I'd love to get 7 years on a battery lol.

Haven't seen life like that since optima went to ****.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My little Kubota tractor made it 10 years on the original battery. There isn’t squat to draw it down though. It’s a dead simple machine. Modern stuff with all the draws are hell on batteries.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
I parked my truck at the mine parking lot to get on the bus to the boat to the bus to the mine 2 weeks ago. It's currently -3, which is stupid cold for here, my battery is getting older. What are the odds my junk starts today when I finally head home? Luckily my snappy guy's storage unit is around the corner from the lot, might have to call in a favor haha.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
What a commute.

Luckily it's only once every 2 weeks. They tried to get me to take a planner job commuting 4 days a week, 2 hours each way, no thank you.

With our cold snap I had this odd feeling we weren't going to make it through this hitch without something freezing up. Sure enough, 4 hours before we are supposed to get on the boat we get a call the kitchen doesn't have water and has a water leek. Luckily it was just a bathroom and as of now there's no geysers though that could change after it thaws out. The water leak was something completely unrelated to the frozen pipes. Good thing it's an early boat today...

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Near record lows. Oh’ boy, not the kitchen! Get Tyler Rental on the horn and request every Frost Fighter they have in inventory. We don’t want the kitchen crew upset or distracted, by any means.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
Can't they just put your truck on a ferry ?

I'd rather keep my personal pickup as far away from this place as possible. Our company trucks are more haggered than a lot lizard with 30 years experience. This place is off the road system and off the ferry route, everything comes in by barge, boat, or chopper.

Near record lows. Oh’ boy, not the kitchen! Get Tyler Rental on the horn and request every Frost Fighter they have in inventory. We don’t want the kitchen crew upset or distracted, by any means.

Haha, pretty sure we've put several Tyler rep's kids through college thanks to this place. Gotta keep the kitchen crew happy, we always say we don't think the food to get any worse though I'm sure it's possible. We get the reject cooks from the slope.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The slope food changed to Sysco prepared slop, a long time ago. The mines are probably the same. I’m not sure where a guy could find a classic, delicious, old-school, camp meal today.

The MEA Beluga camp kitchen stands out, but I haven’t been to Beluga in ten years or so.