• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I'm a fairly new backhoe contractor, seeking advice or ideas on...

Moving 20' c-trains about 5 mi. up a steep dirt road with many tight turns. I havent looked at the specific route yet, but i know the area. My plan A at this point is to put the c-train on the backhoe trailer, but if that ain't happening i need a plan B. The truck needs a lot of turning room, and even with diff. locked, traction can be an issue (for me at least, pulling the backhoe) on these kind of roads.
I have a penel hitch reciever welded in front bucket of hoe, and 4wd. Anyone know of a way to release the trailer brakes so i could pull it with the backhoe?
Also thought about chaining up and dragging them, but the soil is rocky and sandy, and would grind the bottom a lot.
Im not like desperate for help or anything(yet), when i go look at it this weekend most likely it will be pretty simple to figure out. Just posting this for conversation i guess, and it a good way to learn stuff from peolpe.

Jonas302

If your trailer has air brakes you can cage the spring or hook a gas powered air compressor to the gladhand
Not sure what the c-train is though or how heavy and dangerous it would be backing uphill 5 miles?

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
This job sounds like all kinds of fun. Any idea what they weigh?
I set a container a few years back, the number sticking out in my head was 10k pounds but I think that was a 40' container.
This sounds better suited for a dozer to me.

joispoi

A hill is the last place that you want to have a trailer with no brakes. :beatsme

If traction is an issue with the truck, put a half load of gravel/sand/dirt in the box.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
A hill is the last place that you want to have a trailer with no brakes. :beatsme

:iagree

I think if it was me, if the road is too steep/tight for the truck I would hire or rent a dozer. It might be safer to attach something to skid the container on rather than try to drag it on top of a trailer with no brakes. The backhoe could be helpful to help steer around tight corners.

Jimbo

This really isn't rocket surgery; the container is relatively light, so weld a trailer axle under on end of the container, pick up the other end of the container from the top with the hoe, have the front bucket full of dirt(or other ballast), place in 4x4 mode, and crawl on up the hill.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
This really isn't rocket surgery; the container is relatively light, so weld a trailer axle under on end of the container, pick up the other end of the container from the top with the hoe, have the front bucket full of dirt(or other ballast), place in 4x4 mode, and crawl on up the hill.

So your saying the simple solution is to source a trailer axle, then weld it to what sounds like multiple containers that his customer owns?
Aside from all that.... How happy is a TLB going to be climbing steep hills holding 2,000+ pounds 10+ feet in the air with the hoe? Sure it might not be a problem on flat ground....
Maybe I'm thinking of a hill steeper than it really is...... I'm picturing a hill steep enough that a roll-off truck will have issues...

Last edited:
I looked at the road and it is steep, and rocky with sharp turns. Every bit as treacherous as I was expecting it to be. I only went about half way or so with the two wheel drive Highlander, with the baby in the car and getting dark so I need to go back up there with the dirt bike or something before I commit to this. I guess they rented a d4 to try and prepare the road for the truck to bring them up, but I don't blame the driver one bit for dropping them off where he did. I think with putting the axle under one end and lifting the other with the chain, one container at a time, its possible, but could be very time consuming. Most likely going to need to rent a dozer again, but since I do have another job nearby I might give it a try with one to see how it goes. If it works the other two would be easy if not we'll know we need the dozer but when I look at the other half of the road I'll probably change my mind about even trying with the back o. The storage containers are kind of neat, they're converted into a little house like on that tiny house show

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Heres my idea for better or worse. You would not have to weld a axle on to the conex box. They all have the standard hook holes in the corners. I think a trailer house axle that is 9 to 10 ft or so long would work well. Lift the box up on one end and roll the axle under it a couple ft behind the midpoint. Chain the axle equally to the front holes and then chain them to the back holes. Then chain the front to the hoe or the truck and I'll bet you can roll them right along. If you chain hooked them fairly short to the truck you could follow with the hoe and help hold it or push if needed. I think if you drug them 5 miles with a Cat there ould be no bottom left in them. Whatever you do we need pictures. Sounds like a fun, interesting project.

Todd v.

Or locate the axle about 1/3 of the way from the back and fashoing a way to hitch it to a 4x4 or other truck. Doing it this way would give you a reasonable tounge weight to deal with and a shorter wheelbase to help with the turns.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I'm not positive, maybe others will chime in but a backhoe's transmission is not designed for that type of loads. I would expect to see problems in the form of a torque converter overheating with such a long pull. Others have suggested a dozer, its a good choice but 5 miles is quite a distance and will take some time. My choice for this project is either a log skidder or a large farm tractor. Both are designed to pull long distances and can move a lot faster than a dozer when heading back for the second trailer etc. I think I'd make an axle that clamped on somehow and avoid welding to the trailer. For that matter load them on a roll back, hook the skidder to the nose of the truck and help him up...

I'd be a little gun shy to do what the pic above shows, that trail isn't nearly wide enough...

two containers are up, last one is going tomorrow. very time consuming it takes most of the day to get one up there , and bringing the dozer back down isn't any faster.