• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH295s

malcolm

kiwi photos

Attachments

• DSCN0204.jpg
    DSCN0204.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,252
  • DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • DSCN0209.jpg
    DSCN0209.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSCN0226_2.jpg
    DSCN0226_2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,247
  • DSCN0228.jpg
    DSCN0228.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,241

Mr Euclid

Nice Photos Malcom. By the looks of things there are 3 or 4 lying about as well as a Payhauler or two in the background. Are these ex Bakers by any chance?

Regards
Mr Euclid

malcolm

295s

Hi mr euclid you have good eyes including the wrecked one there are 4 here plus 5 payhaulers I took the photos but am still working on their history with conflicting storys I will have to take a box of beer and go and see the owner before this one more to follow cheers malcolm

Attachments

• DSCN0219_2.jpg
    DSCN0219_2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,146
  • DSCN0230_2.jpg
    DSCN0230_2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,162

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
295's what engine

That looks like an 817 engine? I heard they did not last long in this application? I think it was one of the better sounding engines I have heard.

Dug

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
IH 295s

Malcolm,

I'll see your two and raise you three:drinkup

Attachments

• IH 295s.jpg
    IH 295s.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,175

Mr Euclid

4 x 295 scrapers and 5 x Payhaulers!

Looks like one of the largest earthmoving fleets in NZ is in sitting in that field!

Thanks for the additional photos and I am sure there is an interesting story behind them all as well. Keep em coming!

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
My neighbor had an old 295E paddlewheel. They used it in there road building business and when they closed parked everything she had a weak motor but he had a new one in a crate for it. It sat there several years and the torchman got it Very sad day got a running 260 AC and a Gradall and an IHCTD25 that I had run a few months before. I still miss seeing it in the field. I tried to buy it once I knew where a deal wwas in a working Clark 290M but I didnt have a push tractor I had a man wanting the 295 cab for a water wagon and I wanted an elevating scraper. The first time I got to climb in the bowl I was amazed at how high the top of the chains were.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I have only seen 270s here in the states, but the 295 looks like a good machine actually. Is that equivalent to an S24 or an S28? And I do think a short piped 817 is pure music! Maintained a few PH100 trucks, and got to play with then a bit. And ran an older TD24 a bit too.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
All three gone to the scrap man, what a shame.

About 20yrs+++ maybe a few more, there was one floating around Tauranga, J E Prince who was a local contractor was using it on a road job in the area, dont know if it was theirs or a hired in one, had been repowered with an 8V 92T from memory, dont know where it went after that. Cheers RDG.

Kiwi53

The 295 was far from reliable and had engine and transmission issues. While on the UWPD project at least three were re-powered with Cummins KT1150's, fore runner to the K19 I think. Those engines went extremely well but the weak link in the 295 was the transmission. Allison six speeds. Originally they came with a cable shift and were manual then we converted them over to the automatic shift. It never helped as the killer was the splitter clutches. They were just too small for the task and burned up really bad. Most of that I put down to the hydraulic retarder as the torque regeneration when going downhill on the retarder was about 5 times what the engine could produce. If it down shifted when retarding the clutch could not lock up. The other weak ling was the rear transfer case. They had simple ball bearings on the gears and would disassemble themselves regularly. That was improved by pinning the outer races into the case but then it was a right royal poofter lining up the slots and balls and dropping the case on. The case was tight fit so needed some encouragement to slide down over three bearings. A severe beating was often required and the damned locking ball would pop out at the last minute. That meant fishing for the ball or remove the cover and start again. Then they invented super glue. That made it a little easier.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Those were most likely the 5960 trans then, the 5965 was updated with an extra friction and steel plate in both splitter clutches. That seemed to help in just that application. I also seem to remember that Allison cautioned NOT to do any shifting with the retarder applied. I don't know the date of the upgrade, but do recall an SPI in the Allison parts manual to convert the splitter clutches.

Kiwi53

Yes, They were 5960's from memory and the upgrade must have come out later on in the scene. I worked on these up until about 1980, maybe 79 and we had Allison engineers visit us etc to try and come up with a fix. The downshifting requirement was good in theory but the fully automatic conversion often left the guy at the top of the ramp in the wrong cog so speak and an inadvertent downshift was common. Im sure there was a downshift inhibitor of some sort as well. I know CAT had the shift lock pedal on the 631's and Im sure IH had some way to lock the auto shift. Just cannot recall how right now. Its been a while of course :)

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Same here, its been awhile. Strange that they would have gone to fully automatic shifting in an app like that. Downshift inhibitors... I had a minor tendency to "disable them accidently" when I had to run a machine. haha.

Aussie John

Occupation
Maintenance Planner, mining equipment

Attachments

• IMG_7388.jpg
    IMG_7388.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_7388 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7388 (Copy).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

Aussie John

Occupation
Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
Here is a shot of the tractors also at the Camp 6 site during 1975 / 76. They are a mix of D9G, D8H & K, D7F & G and a Komatsu D155. The 3 D7F tractors with-out blades are towing tandem Pacific brand vibrating rollers.
IMG_7392 (Copy).jpg

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Really enjoyed those pics, Aussie John. I like the "look back in time" aspect. And views of equipment we will never see again. Thank for sharing.

Kiwi53

Fantastic photos John, brings back many memories. Especially the 295 perched up in the air with the transmission out. They all spent a decent amount of time like that from memory. A transmission that made 2 or 3000 hours was an exceptionally good run.