• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 1954 series power steering problems

illinoisboy

Occupation
contractor
my pump is toast on the tandem. local International dealer(who is next to worthless) doesn't have the pump. If the truck is older than 5 years old it seems they don't stock parts for it. Anywho, the pump is on 466, it is belt driven. I know the newer 466s have a gear driven pump. my question is, has anyone replaced a power steering pump on a 466 that was belt driven? if so where did you get the pump? and can I put a gear driven pump on it or is the block on the newer 466s that much different? it has 16000 fronts. thanks!

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
The E Series DT had the pump mounted to the air comp. which in turn was mounted to the timing gear case. Without a lot of work you will probably just want to replace what you have. Make friends with some school bus mechanics and see if they may have a dusty one still laying around. IH made thousands of DT powered buses so parts new and used are out there, just gotta network so to speak!

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Last edited: