• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ih 175b

greywynd

Came across this today, found the plate that told me what it was....(otherwise I wouldn't have a clue beyond IH :D

Got talking to the owner, he told me that he'd had the pins turned, new sprockets and rollers when he bought it, and since then it's hardly been used. (He was hoping to use it to load material at his getaway property, unfortunately it's almost all rock!)

There's a second bucket for it as well, and he told me that if he got $4K for it he'd be happy. Don't know that I have a use for it, but I'm going to think about it.

Attachments

• DSCN4084web.jpg
    DSCN4084web.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 3,804
  • DSCN4085web.jpg
    DSCN4085web.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 3,414
  • DSCN4086web.jpg
    DSCN4086web.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3,648
  • DSCN4087web.jpg
    DSCN4087web.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,265

Komatsu 150

All I know about them is from a 3 day demo of a new one back in the day. I was digging basements with it. Very powerful and good digger but some difficult to see out of. Our old mechanic didn't like the idea, he said it was hard to work on, no belly pan etc. Good price. What really convinced us to buy a 955 instead, even back then, was the astonishing fuel use - 90 gal. in a long day versus 50 for the Cat.

brian falcone

175b

considered by many as one of the finest machines international ever built. i had a 1968 with the 4 in 1 bucket. machine ran like a top and never gave any trouble. it would allways start after months of being parked. the local komatsu dealer had any part i needed. the 175 saw 40 years of production. as it was only recently discountinued by dressta last year. .i only sold mine because it was too big to justify keeping as i no longer needed it. while it cant compare to newer track loaders it was a workhorse and a few wrecking companies are still running fleets of them today.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
175 B downunder

i owned a 175 some years ago, i purchased it around 1973, it was a few years old then, it was roughly the same size as a 955 cat however it would easily out work the 955, mine had a ripper , no cab, just a canopy, had heaps of horse power and a really tough, reliable machine, dont recall any specs..

Komatsu 150

i owned a 175 some years ago, i purchased it around 1973, it was a few years old then, it was roughly the same size as a 955 cat however it would easily out work the 955, mine had a ripper , no cab, just a canopy, had heaps of horse power and a really tough, reliable machine, dont recall any specs..

All true. Would way out dig a 955 and could push lot more dirt up the ramp. I'm sure their toughness was the reason they were still popular as a demo machine long after their time had passed.

brian falcone

specs

weight was right around 15 tons with rops and no ripper and it was rated at 1.75 yards with a standard bucket and 1.57 with the 4 in 1 bucket . the c series had the dt466 engine static tipping load was 18,930 with the general purpose bucket and breakout force was 23,220

Turbo21835

All true. Would way out dig a 955 and could push lot more dirt up the ramp. I'm sure their toughness was the reason they were still popular as a demo machine long after their time had passed.

That may be part of it. But the wrecking companies I have worked for are reluctant to change. Its not in their vocabulary. Nor is it in their bottom line. Most of the real old time demo companies will run a piece of iron until it is ready to go into the very scrap pile it is working on.

brian falcone

year?

if you can get a serial number off the unit i can tell you the year. should be on a tag to the left of the seat. if i had to guess id put it around 1970 or 71 as it has no rops and the eariler versions had a bump out in the left side panel to make room for the spool valves

greywynd

I took a pic, hard to tell for certain, but it looks like L 175 BP 10734. I should have jotted it down too! Actually you can just see the tag in one of the pics I originally posted, but doubt it's readable in it at all.

surfer-joe

I operated 175B's in Vietnam. Fine loader, fast and powerful. However, the hoist cylinder packings were weak and of a poor design. The cylinders should be torn down, inspected, and packing replaced at least once a year, more if the machine is used hard or gets a lot of hours. Change hydraulic oil and filters at half the recommended interval.

I would rather operate a poor 175 to a new 955 of the same vintage. The 175 always just "felt" better.

brian falcone

cant find the book,,,,darn kids. but that was a link to my 1968. ran great. it was in need of a new u.c. however it never threw a track and you could run them till the tracks wore l off. i will admit that my hoist cylinders leaked all the time. but it was a very reliable machine

greywynd

Nope, it's still there. I've kicked it around, but not really something I need at the moment. Will likely sit on it a while and think about it, if I can see a job or use for it come up in the near future, I might rethink it.

It's coming into late fall/winter here, so the excavating will soon start drawing to a close, not exactly when I want to be laying out more money, especially when it's hard to tell what the economy may do over winter this year.

spr426hemi8

I am in need of a set of radiator hoses for a i/h 175b..machine is equipped with a dt361 turbo engine..also need to replace front and rear main seals...Doe the engine need to be pulled in order to replace them. Where can i get these seals or hoses..

thx.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I am in need of a set of radiator hoses for a i/h 175b..machine is equipped with a dt361 turbo engine..also need to replace front and rear main seals...Doe the engine need to be pulled in order to replace them. Where can i get these seals or hoses..

thx.

Komatsu dealers supply parts for these machines. But I have to ask why you think it has a bad rear main seal? Do you have an oil leak at area of rear of engine at convertor housing? Keep in mind, these things had a wet convertor housing, oil from transmission. Oil leaks in that area can be several things.

rocko59

Mr Hemi Have you got parts for your machine yet? We have a LOT of parts for these, new & used. Yes, there are a few places they can leak, rear main seal shows up by oil transfer, if it leaks externally at the back, it's more than the seal. Front seals are pretty straight forward. You can change both without pulling the engine, if you like standing on your head to pull the convertor, that part isn't a lot of fun to do, although not as bad as the smaller ones. Let me know if we can help you with it. Russell

JimInOz

175B Parts?

Hi ,
I have a friend in need of sprockets (or rims) & sprocket seals for his 175B.
Any ideas on where to get parts are gratefully accepted.
Thanks,
Jim