• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Idlers

Zrock

What are people doing to prolong the life of the front idlers on a skid steer? Don't matter if we use oem or aftermarket about every 2 years they are toast with only a few hundred hours on em. I've been told that they are filled with oil. Been thinking of dumping the oil and filing with grease. Only problem their if I pop a seal it will be toast shortly after

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Zrock

Yep bearing or bushing what ever is in their. 440ct case with 1800hrs I think we are on the 3rd set now.

lantraxco

Since it's the front, most likely they are hammering out, rather than losing lube, but if there's an easy way to check and relube them, why not just do it once a year when you hit a slow week? Or drill and tap for a grease zerk if there's a place you can make it work.

Zrock

Their lies the problem. Yes they can be checked they have threaded holes for filling. But when they loose their oil it must leave all at once and the dirt and mud washes away sign of the leak. I have watched and never seen a leak and yet I have another one blown out. I can easily add a grease fitting but it will have to be taken out every time or get sheared off by a rock. I may just add a grease fitting and drill a 1/8 hole or smaller at the farthest point away from the grease fitting. This way I won't blow out the seals if we put to much grease in it.

DIYDAVE

You might want to try JD cornhead grease, and also build a guard, around the fitting, like the valve stem guard, like on a SS wheel...

Zrock

Corn head grease... is that a real thing...lol.. ya I was thinking the guard..

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Are you able to rebush the idilers? keep one set in rotation? What kind of work is the machine doing? lots of fast forward/reverse transitions? heavy carrying? high speed?

Zrock

Machine does a variety of work but mostly now just placing and leveling. On a variety of surfaces.. this time I'm going to tear one apart and see if it's salable