• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Idler removal Cat 311B

RobMonk

Have my track off and I noticed the idler is quite loose. If I am not mistaken there is a bushing that goes on between the axle and the wheel itself? I have the idler out in a position I can see the bin that goes through but I don't want to do anything stupid. My first thought was to punch it out but I was wondering if someone had more advice?

Per Eriksson

1 filler plug
2 wheel
3 bearings, axial/radial glide type.
4 duo-cone seals, 2 on each side, a thick oring and a steelring.
5 seal oring, keeps oil from leaking out around the shaft
6 pin, to keep the shaft in place
7 shaft
8 brackets, bolts together to form a "U" and connects to the spring assembly.

QuickTrax

Your machine takes the same Idler as the Cat 312. If the shaft is loose your seals have failed and oil has leaked out and probably ruined the inside of the idler. I wouldn't waste time trying to repair your old one. You could probably find a new aftermarket locally for around $425-$450. Most of the time trying to repair an old idler ends up costing around the same or higher as a new one.
Good Luck