• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Identify this starter wire please

Therapydoc

Have a 1995 Ford 575d backhoe. Getting the wire reworked and was removing the starter and found this wire hanging loose. Theres a connector on the end so I’m not sure that it connected directly to the starter but maybe the wire that they spliced ? It comes out of the main harness just behind the starter and is about 10 gauge wire so maybe it’s power for heater or ac? I need to track this thing down. I just bought the machine and am trying to learn more about it.

MoNote: the machine used to have a return to dig feature which is mounted below this area but was removed at some point however I don’t think this wire has enough play room to reach out of The engine compartment.

Can someone that has one of these machines help me figure out where to connect it? Thanks in advance. Photos below. Wouldn’t let me insert in this post

Attachments

• 3F657E84-74B9-4CB9-A245-B9F665F2DDD5.jpeg
    3F657E84-74B9-4CB9-A245-B9F665F2DDD5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Only a guess, but looks like it may have been the original starter solenoid wire and somewhere along the way the previous owner had problems with it and replaced it with the wire (not in harness) that's currently connected to the starter solenoid

Grady

the block heater on one of my Case hoes is just above the starter - just another guess

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
My guess would be the same as willie59's

Having worked on these ford tractors all I can say is the original wiring is very poorly designed and laid out.

Therapydoc

My guess would be the same as willie59's

Having worked on these ford tractors all I can say is the original wiring is very poorly designed and laid out.

I figured if it was starter wire it would have a ring terminal on the end and not one of those

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I figured if it was starter wire it would have a ring terminal on the end and not one of those

The stock ford solenoids always have a spade terminal bolted to it to accept a connection like that.... of course this is part of the poor design I was talking about... after the first thousand hours on the diesel rattler they loosen up quite a bit and cause issues ;)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The stock ford solenoids always have a spade terminal bolted to it to accept a connection like that.... of course this is part of the poor design I was talking about... after the first thousand hours on the diesel rattler they loosen up quite a bit and cause issues ;)
What he said. ;)